Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Adapting my sewing for arthritis


This is the hanging sleeve on the back of my latest quilt. My thumb was just too painful to hand stitch the bottom of the sleeve down -- even while wearing my brace -- so I fused it down! Then I hand tacked it in a few spots. I don't know if it will hold up to the weight of the quilt, but if it does I think I'll do all of my quilts like this from now on.


I also did machine stitching to catch the back of the binding (this is the front), stitching in the ditch on the front. I always used to enjoy hand stitching the binding to the back, but once again my arthritis has nixed that practice.


On a walk today in the neighborhood, I decided that the trees reflected in a pond look like the greens in the new quilt. It definitely feels like fall is in the air.

"Choosing Joy," 48x48 inches

Have a colorful day


7 comments:

sonja said...

i hear you about thumb pain in repetitive work. my left thumb looks like a drumstick at times as she does all the holding, gipping as i am right hander. interesting enough, i have found if i give her a rest by taping that mid joint with painters tape to keep thumb from flexing and making that annoying click, i can get by and eventually slow the pain.Your work around is good too, as we are constantly solving the problems we set up, no?

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Great ideas to avoid the pain! I too love to do the hand stitching, but there are always other ways to do things. We adapt... it's part of our DNA! And yes, it is beginning to feel like fall is near. After the hot summer we have had, I am looking forward to cooler temps!

Donna said...

I have been appreciating your comments about arthritis as my hands are often very painful. Switching tasks helps and I will be going to a hand therapist for other tips. Thanks for showing me ways to adapt and for talking about the issue.

Lynda said...

So sorry about your thumb pain. It sure is difficult when our hands hurt. Hope it gets better soon. Love that bright and sunny quilt.

Robbie said...

Darn right beautiful!!! Nicely done. I feel for you with the hands/fingers! Hope you can get some relief...injections...medication....CBD oil....

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Most of my stitching friends suffer from some kind of health distress in their hands. I myself will have carpal tunnel surgery later this month. Choosing Joy is beautiful and of course colorful...JOYFUL!
xx, Carol

Pat .F in Winnipeg said...

As a long time hand stitcher I, too, have severe arthritis in my hands. I gave up hand quilting over 30 years ago but those bindings and hanging sleeves have always been hand sewn--with great pain and many long rests. Lately I've been fusing all my bindings, and the bottom of my hanging sleeves. The top I stitch as that is where all the tension will be.
Pat F in Winnipeg