Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, September 13, 2019

Madison quilts and critters

The white glove at Wisconsin Quilt Expo.
The reason I picked last weekend to visit Keith and Rachel is because it was the weekend of the  Wisconsin Quilt Expo in Madison! I had never been to that one and was excited to find some inspiration.

I took photos of my faves but decided I probably shouldn't put them on the blog without getting permission from the makers. 


But I did get a picture of Heather Givens, the designer of a pattern I'm excited to make. I'm a big fan of snail mail and pretty notecards with matching envelopes, so this quilt really caught my eye. In fact, out of the entire show it's the one thing that got my blood pumping!

The pattern is "Letters From Home" by Crimson Tate. It comes with a square template to use with your rotary cutter if you want to fussy cut prints for the envelope. It also comes with directions for making an optional open envelope that you can slip notes or goodies into.

I'd love to visit the Crimson Tate shop sometime in Indianapolis.


Then I found Blue Bar Quilts on the last day of my trip and was in heaven. It's a modern quilt shop with wonderful graphic fabric, a large gallery featuring a different quilt artist each month, and a makers gallery with items for sale. I bought this selection of fabric:


Moving on to wildlife, here are some Sandhill Cranes we saw while hiking in the Pheasant Branch Conservancy. These beautiful  birds can be up to five feet tall!


We also saw plenty of wild turkeys. These ones were sauntering through Keith's neighborhood.


 At Olbrich Botanical Gardens we saw ducks eating duckweed.


And squirrels were everywhere, squirreling away nuts for the winter.


Which leads nicely into this quote:


 Have a colorful day

3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

I think you are being overly cautious about sharing quilt photos from the exhibit. As long as you give attribution to the maker, you should be fine. Only if the show itself states clearly that photos are not allowed or should not be posted on line, there's no reason not to do it, again, as long as you credit the maker. I usually take the time to see if the maker has a website or other social media presence that I can link to. I think these quilters appreciate the additional exposure that might send viewers to check out more about them.

Robbie said...

You are quite the traveler!!! Good for you!!! Love seeing your adventures!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the Letters from Home quilt! Sounds like you had a nice visit and found some fun fabric too, no surprise there! And love the wildlife. I have lots of acorns this year on my Gambel Oak, but haven't seen any squirrels, just Blue Jays. I should snatch a few off for my collection while I can! ;-)