Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, September 1, 2019

"Choosing Joy" quilt is finished



I just finished another quilt. I'm calling it "Choosing Joy" because that's what I'm doing with my life. The green is for rebirth, and the pink, orange and yellow are for joy. I'm going to bind it with the text fabric, but that will have to wait until tomorrow. It measures 48x48 inches.

This second layout is what I originally had in my head, but then I started playing around with it and like the top star formation much better. It seems to have more sparkle and movement.


 I love the intersections.




I always hate to throw away the pretty trimmings, but after the photo I scooped them into the waste basket. In earlier years I might have saved them just in case I thought of a creative use for them.


Here is how I covered up the seams on the back -- with fused strips.


I'm continuing to come across good quotes on Facebook and Instagram. Here is a recent one. (In case you're wondering why I stopped the Friday Yoga Wisdom quotes, it's because Jillian has left the Y and no longer teaches our class. We all miss her.)


Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Edith Bieri-Hanselmann said...

Hi Sherrie, the second layout has much mor Joy in it. Good you choosed this layout. And I really like the Quote. It is so true!
Hugs
Edith

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the quilt, and the quote was written just for you! Sorry your source of inspiring quotes is no longer teaching your yoga class, but you are very good at finding sources for inspiration and encouragement, and thank you for sharing with us! As for discarding the trim scraps, I have finally begun to be a little more selective with what I keep. We can only do so much! ;-)
Happy Labor Day...

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Your quilt will be beautiful. love the blocks. Looking at them in their lay out is like looking into a fractured mirror (that was a compliment). I am new to quilting and I won't even let myself THINK about keeping those tiny scraps. Besides, my big dog has fun taking them from the waste basket and leaving them all over my sewing room when I forget to empty the basket.
xx, Carol

Robbie said...

I love the layout you selected! This is a stunner!!! Just beautiful!!! And you finished it pretty quick too! You didn't give your fingers much of a rest! HA