Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, December 6, 2020

Christmas decorating in the new home


The decorations are up in the desert! 

The little white lights that I love are draped across the back of the house inside, a skinny tree is in the corner (no room for a full tree), and a bevy of candles (battery operated for safety) casts a soft glow.


I'm almost done writing my cactus Christmas card messages with Christmas music playing in the background. California Guitar Trio's A Christmas Album free with Amazon Prime is my new favorite.

Only one stocking hangs by the fireplace for the first time in my life. I had hoped to spend Christmas with my daughter, but Covid canceled that plan. Next year my stocking will have some companions.

The fire isn't on because I'm waiting to have it repaired. It worked during the home inspection, but now it doesn't. There's nothing quite like reading in front of a crackling fire on a chilly night.

I received my first Christmas card, from my sister in law. I love the picture and Peace On Earth message.


Nature and animals are always a big part of winter decorating for me. The yoga bunnies are practicing in a snowy forest!



And my wooly reindeer has a little bird on its back as the snow falls.



Our family loves squirrels. We used to have flying squirrels as pets.


We also love birds. Since second grade I've almost always had parakeets as pets. This year I was afraid my two little guys would be too stressed by the long move, so I gave them to someone who was thrilled to have them for her grandchildren. Maybe next year I'll get some more. In the meantime, I have these cardinals.


Here are some other winter quilts.




This next one is a collaboration of my Sew Day group. Each of us did a row for everyone in the group, and I requested a Christmas theme for mine. I love it! It's hanging in my workroom.


I even added swag to the bathroom!


Here is some of my holiday sewing for this year. I'm using the big cactus print for a pillowcase (with the red for the cuff), and the other two will be masks to put in my Etsy shop.



And speaking of cactuses, this towel that I've had for ages finally has a home in the desert! In case you didn't know, Arizona is the only state in the country where saguaro cactuses are native, except for a small bordering part of California that's in the Sonoran Desert.


And here is what Christmas in the desert also looks like -- oranges growing next to ornaments. I'm so excited to be living where citrus grows and the skies are almost always blue!



Hope you're having fun making a cozy nest this year. Might as well, since we'll all be spending our days at home this season.


Have a colorful day

8 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I always love to see your Christmas decor! Your tiny lights bring magic, and all the colors of your wonderful creations remind me of the very first Christmas tree I remember as a small child. Thank you for always sharing how beautifully you transform your world!

Lynda said...

Sherrie, Love seeing your decorations and those beautiful little quilts. I've never been much into decorating and as I get older, even less. Now if you'd come over and decorate I'd love it!! Anyway, love how you are making your new house, your home. Wish we lived closer.

JudyC said...

Your new home looks beautiful dressed for Christmas. Especially love the quilt that your sew group ladies made. Enjoy the holidays as best you can. Miss you.

Norma Schlager said...

I love all your Christmas decorations and quilts. They brought a big smile to my face. I spent the month of March in AZ a few years ago and loved the weather and grew to love the cacti, especially the Saguaro.

sonja said...

Sherrie, Your home looks so colorful and festive and well, like home. I love seeing some of your fabric art everywhere!
Now that's my kind of home! Wishing you cozy holidays !!

Robbie said...

Your home looks SO inviting! I love the living room area!!! A glass of wine, a good book and I'd be set. Your decorating looks wonderful and so festive!!!! So glad you shared pics with us!!! Happy holidays!!!

Marybeth said...

I love the way you have decorated your new home. I think you picked a wonderful home to move into. You just may have inspired me to get my decorations out of the attic and sprinkle a few around since we will be home alone this holiday.

Janice Smith said...

How lovely, warm, and colorful . . . enjoy your first Christmas in your new home.