Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, December 31, 2020

2020 wasn't all bad

 

Despite Covid-19 turning our lives upside down and taking far too many lives in 2020, I have found some bright spots in the year. I went after my dream of living in the desert and moved to Tucson, where I've embraced the sunshine, hiking, Mexican food, and new friends.


Today I went for my last hike of the year, in the Santa Catalina foothills. It was peaceful and beautiful, sunny and 50-some degrees.


I'm gradually exploring the trails in Catalina State Park, which is less than 10 minutes from my house. I'm even starting to get to know the individual saguaros!


After a blistering hot summer spent sheltering inside my house, I finally was able to start hiking in the fall and got to know these two wonderful women on a Meetup hike. We clicked and have started hiking together every week.


Besides desert hiking, this year also has brought me hundreds of spectacular sunsets and some pretty amazing full moons.


Above is a full moon hike in the desert and a sunset from my front courtyard. Below is the sunset from my sewing room.


Speaking of sewing, I got a LOT of sewing done during the summer when it was just too hot to do anything outside except at 6 a.m. I embroidered little bowl stuffers for friends ...


... and tea towels for friends and family.


I started painting fabric again!


I sewed Southwest decor for my new home.


And I opened an Etsy shop in November to sell what I sewed, including this batch of masks.


Yes, I got lonely being away from my old friends. Yes, I desperately wanted to visit my parents, who are almost 90 and who I haven't seen in more than a year. 


Yes, I missed visiting my kids, but I'm so happy that they each have a special someone to hunker down with during the pandemic. Here's my son and his wife ...


... and my daughter and her boyfriend:


I'm learning to love my own company after finalizing the divorce this year. I embrace snuggling in my pajamas in front of the fire on chilly evenings with a good book or movie.


And I'm going to carry these "lessons from a Christmas tree" into the new year. Happy New Year to all of you, and thanks for following my blog!


Have a colorful new year

6 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

This post makes me happy! Considering how things started out after you moved, I think this year has definitely turned out better than you might have expected after a couple of months stuck at home with no friends there! Here's hoping it just keeps getting better in 2021 and beyond! Happy New Year, my friend!

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

You have done what so many women “of a certain age” dream about. You should be so proud of yourself. I admire your determination and I know that 2021 is going to be a wonderful year for you

Lynda said...

Love this post, and how even though this move was difficult during COVID, you are doing great. I'm so happy for you. Love those little bowl stuffers and tea towels. Way cute. Happy New Year! And here's to more adventures and lots of art.

Sherrie Spangler said...

Thanks, you three wonderful ladies! Here's hoping we all have a great new year!

pkbinns said...

Happy New Year to you my friend. Love your posts about your journey and the beauty of the desert. Eventually we’ll be able to visit Tuscon and see you again.

Robbie said...

I am SO happy for you, Sherry!!!! I think you are one person who 2020 was good for!!!! So happy you have hiking buds and I know you'll hook up with like textile folks soon too. Don't forget about Roberta and email her as well. Happy New Year!!!!