Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, January 3, 2021

First quilt top and first hike of 2021


Today I finished my first quilt top of the new year! I can't decide if I want to orient it this way (above) or this way (below).

I also tried out this variation, along with about 50 others. In the end, I decided it didn't really matter, as long as the stronger blue and dark orange pieces were evenly distributed.

I also went on my first hike of the new year today: Canyon Loop Trail in Catalina State Park. How do you like my snazzy new hat? The visor that I had been wearing did a good job of shading my face, but it let the top of my head get too hot in the sun.


I drive up there about three times a week now to hike by myself. I can feel my legs getting stronger from the steep hills. Every view is like a postcard, with the Santa Catalina mountains and saguaros.


 

There's a cool piece of tile art at the trailhead, with people's names and sayings on the tiles.

Here are two of my favorite sayings:




Have a colorful day

6 comments:

Susan Sawatzky said...

Very nice looking hike Sherry

Robbie said...

I like the 2nd layout! And love your hat!!!! You should go hiking with someone or is this an area where folks are always hiking? If you fell we might not hear from you for awhile!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I'm with Robbie! Much as I am glad that you are getting in hikes, I worry unless there are other hikers out. At least I hope you have good cell signal in case of emergency. I LOVE the hat! It's perfect, and gives you a jaunty look! As for your quilt top, I think I like the first one better because I see the orange sun surrounded by blue sky in the upper right corner, and that always appeals to me. Great sayings on the tiles... you are definitely getting a lot of positive messages these days, and that's encouraging!

Marybeth said...

You look so darn cute in the new hat!! Keep on hiking!!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Oh yes, a perfect hat! I want one for my own summer walks. I know just what you mean about the difference between a visor and the full coverage of a hat.

And yeah, the time spent trying out different arrangements of blocks like these. I think you've found the key in that any with good distribution of the dark blue and orange pieces will work.

The Idaho Beauty said...

And by the way, I laugh at the "mothers" worried about you hiking alone. I trust that like me, you've been doing the hiking long enough that you know what precautions to take and take them. Yes, it can be nice to have someone to hike with but it's a totally different experience to hike on your own and I wouldn't let any well-meaning worriers (like my city-bound sil!) cramp my style!