Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, January 31, 2021

Next project and more hiking

 

I found this amazing fabric in all of my favorite colors yesterday at Quilters Market in Tucson. It was my first quilt store visit of the year and the occasion was a sale on everything you could fit in one of their tote bags. Now I have to decide what to do with it.

I pulled out all of my Grunge fabrics that coordinate with it, but that's as far as I've gotten. I poured through my quilt books last night looking for inspiration but only got overwhelmed, so I'll just let things percolate awhile in my head.

In the meantime, there's hiking! We still have some snow on the mountains from last week, but the sunshine has returned and today's high will be 70. I'll be hiking this afternoon.

A few days ago I hiked at the Sweetwater Preserve west of the city in the Tucson Mountains, where I was surrounded by saguaros.

I love how they each have their own personality. The one above seems to be signaling "come on over," while the one below has a boo-boo.

This next one looks like a very tired old person -- how I feel sometimes.


The ones that soar way up into the sky are my favorites. They're tall and strong.


I'm also still looking into senior homes for my parents in case they decide to move to Tucson. This inviting sitting area is in the place I toured last week. The woman who took me around said that in the afternoon, residents congregate there with a bottle of wine and solve the world's problems in 30 minutes. Sounds good to me!

Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Robbie said...

love your descripyion of the cactus,,,,that fabric is awesome!!!

The Idaho Beauty said...

That fabric is nothing short of magical. Don't know if it looks the same in person as it does on the screen but it has an ethereal quality to it. But it will be a tough one to work with, that's for sure!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Glad you were able to get out to a quilt store, and with a sale on too! Love the fabric, but then we're on the same page... more color, all the time!
I'm so happy that you're getting in so many hikes and enjoying the saguaros... they really do have personalities! Love the "greeter" inviting you to come on in, what a hoot!
Wow, the picture of the patio at the senior looks so inviting, and I love your description about them solving all the problems in 30 minutes... sign me up! I think it would be so great if you could get them to move near you... fingers crossed!

Janice Smith said...

That is a great piece of fabric and I LOVE all your photos. Here in the Boston area we are awaiting a major ⛄️ storm, so your photos look especially special this morning!

Regarding the fabric, maybe you might consider making stars with the center using the fabric and the points being solid grunge fabric. . . just a thought.

Enjoy your hike.��