Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, January 15, 2021

Colors of the desert



Today I snapped some photos in the neighborhood that reflect the colors in my "Joyful Desert" quilt, which I started quilting this week.

Some people think the desert is just brown and "dead," but it's actually full of colors (some thanks to irrigation, like citrus) that glow in the endless desert sun


Yellow grapefruit from my neighbor's tree,
a spiky green native sotol ...


Pink heat-loving bougainvillea in my back yard ...


Rocks in my front yard ...


Desert-loving yellow flowers ...


Fiery sunsets of yellow and orange ...


Green-blue prickly pear ...


Yellow blooms on a green barrel cactus ...


Oranges against a deep blue sky ...


And there is some brown, too!


Even the chocolate chip cookies that I made last night reflect the lumpy sandy desert floor. They wiped out a week's worth of weight loss in one night of debauchery, which means I'll have to step up the hiking. But they were worth it!


Have a colorful day

4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

You have done a marvelous job of capturing all the wonderful colors of the southwest, not only with your photos, but your lovely quilt as well! I think it's stretching it a bit to include the cookies, but since you are also a culinary "artist", I guess I can let that slide... if they motivate you to get out and hike more, then they have served their purpose, right? ;-)

Lynda said...

Beautiful pics as always. They reminded me of when my best friend Barbara lived there. I was amazed at the colors, and loved eating oranges from her tree. And love the cookies. Great incentive to get out and hike.

Faith said...

I love the quilt!

Robbie said...

that spiky green native sotol is a great picture!!!! I can see painting or using that as a stencil, stitching...so many ideas...almost took my mind off those cookies! Love that sunset...such beauty around you and you're finding it and appreciating it...so many of us don't see the beauty!