Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Quilting and changes


I pulled out the selfie stick so I could get a picture showing you non-quilters how we wrangle a quilt through our sewing machine. This is just a wall quilt, but imagine handling a king-size quilt!

I'm almost done, but I got sidetracked the last few days.

My dad in Los Angeles suffered two TIAs last week and ended up going to the hospital by ambulance two days in a row. Luckily, my brother in San Diego could drive up in a matter of hours, but it finally made my dad realize that maybe he should look into getting himself and my mom into a senior facility where they could start out living independently -- as they are now at ages 89 in a three-level house -- and also have assisted care available when needed.

So I have begun looking into facilities here in Tucson, starting with this one today. It's beautiful, but because of COVID the common indoor areas can't be used and the pool was empty because we had a rare cloudy, chilly day. I would love it if they moved out here!


And speaking of new beginnings, my blog book for 2020 arrived in the mail. I chose this quote for the front cover: "And suddenly you know it's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings."

And for the back, a sunset photo from my new home.

And here's something surprising -- look at that little snowflake in the weekly forecast!

Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, that would be great for you if your parents were closer, but will they be able to handle the intense summer heat? Well, they probably don't do a lot of traveling out, I'm guessing.
Your blog book is lovely! I never thought of doing something like that, but what a great way to keep copies for your shelf! And I love the selfie shots of you and the quilt. I've only made 2 lap quilts, and they were a little bit challenging when it came to the quilting part... but you're a pro at this, so no doubt you know all the tricks!

Robbie said...

I certainly hope you'll be able to get your mom and dad to come out to AZ with you! That would be wonderful for all three of you! It will take some doing with home sale/etc. but would be worth it. And to have family around you would be great too! Love seeing you work on that awesome quilt!!!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Sorry to hear about your dad, but good to know he's taking it as a wake-up call. Didn't realize they were living in 3 stories which might be one reason they have lived as long as they have in good health! I know I want to hang on to my two story townhouse as long as I can for the enforced exercise it gives. The rental before was all on one level, kind of a promise I made to my old dog who was starting to need a boost getting up the stairs to the bedroom each night at the other place before we moved. I could tell when I moved into my current place what I'd been missing not having that second level to climb up to several times a day. Anyway, I hope they find just the place and have an easy move.

Love your choices for front and back covers of your printed 2020 blog.