Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, December 10, 2020

My workshop is buzzing


I feel like I've been as busy in my sewing workroom as a Santa's elf in December. I've been churning out masks for my Etsy shop (sherrielovescolor) ...

... and today I'm tackling a set of six placemats in these warm Grunge fabrics. A friend commissioned them to give to her son, who likes Sante Fe colors. I'm going to have enough fabric left over to make another set for the shop.


I'm extra excited about wrapping gifts this year ...


... because I found this great Christmas cactus wrapping paper on Amazon! My cutting table has been transformed into gift wrap central. I have to get this done early because my family and friends are scattered all over the country, so I have to mail ALL of my gifts. 


I even wrapped a present for myself (but not in the good paper) to put under the tree. It's a box of Trader Joe's chocolate covered cherries, which I love. I'm hoping that since they're wrapped I won't get into them right away. I also bought two of TJ's Danish Kringles, filled with almond paste that's to die for, and put one in the freezer and I'm trying not to eat the other one too quickly.


With all that eating I need exercise, and I'm excited to announce that I finally found two hiking buddies! They're both single women (like me) who moved to Tucson within the past year and are eager to explore the area.


I met them on the full moon Meetup hike and we decided that we need to do our own hikes at a slower pace. These pictures are from this week's hike at Honeybee Canyon Park in Oro Valley (Valley of Gold). Believe it or not, there are petroglyphs right beside the trail that have not been vandalized.


I'm also starting to collect unusual saguaro photos. This one seems to be saying, "The trail is that way!"


In my neighborhood, I found this little agave trimmed in silver balls. Even more delightful is that the car in the driveway has a Seattle Seahawks sticker! (That's my team.)


Lastly, here is one of my painted silk organza and beaded collages that I hope to sell on Etsy (without the frame, which would complicate packing and make shipping more expensive). I called it "Beauty."


I'm linking to Nina-Marie's Off-the-Wall blog post at back-to-work-on-off-wall-friday.html. Check it out to see what other fabric artists have been up to this week.

Have a colorful day

4 comments:

Robbie said...

I love that cactus wrapping paper! Good for you on the hiking and finding two buds to do it with! That's great!!!! You are a better woman than I...I'd be in those chocolates before I got out the tape to wrap them!

The Idaho Beauty said...

So glad you have found walking buddies. Interesting idea to wrap your candy in the hopes you won't eat it right away. A little out of sight out of mind? Your latest masks are great!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

The paper is great! Goes well with your lovely Christmas cards too! And I am also very happy that you have found hiking pals so you can all get out and explore.
Don't even get me started on holiday treats... I would have no defense against the chocolate covered cherries! Better double up on your hikes, to make room for them! ;-)

Gwyned Trefethen said...

Tucson, fiber art, hiking and yoga - I relate to them all. I was surprised not to see you listed amongst the members at SAQA. Everything about your post and the blogs you follow suggest it as something you would enjoy.

Love the various fabrics you have selected for your masks. If we must wear them, then have some fun, right? Just like the Christmas cactus wrapping paper.