Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Wool applique Christmas book cover


I just finished a wool applique cover for the big binder that's stuffed with my annual Christmas letters and photos going back to 1999. (I have another one going back to 1985, but that one already has a nice cover.) I embroidered "Our Christmas Story" on the spine, and I thought I'd show how I transferred the letters in case it might help someone.

First I printed the words out in a font and size that I liked. Then I traced them onto the non-sticky side of a piece of Glad Press 'n' Seal.


The Press 'n' Seal is sticky on one side, so press that side against the fabric where you want to embroider.



Embroider through the Press 'n' Seal and then peel it off. You may need tweezers or the tip of sharp scissors to pick out the small pieces. Voila!


Here's the front of the cover. I used a black cotton background and wool scraps. The trees and Santa are from a table topper pattern.


Every year I pull out the books and read through my old letters, which each have a picture of our family. It's like going back through a time capsule. Here's the latest:


And some of the older ones ...





And it wouldn't be a blog post without a desert picture, so here's a shot of a majestic saguaro cactus from yesterday's hike on the Linda Vista Trail near my house.


(I'm linking to Nina-Marie's Off-the-Wall-Fridays, where other quilt artists show what they've been working on this week: merry-christmasoff-wall-friday.html)

Have a colorful day

7 comments:

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

Thank you for that embroidery tip! I will definitely use it.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

What a wonderful collection, and I love your book cover! Great tip about transferring your text for embroidering... tracing paper just doesn't do it!
I hope you can enjoy the holiday, even being isolated, and I look forward to our Zoom chat next week!

Lynda said...

Love your cover and the press and seal tip. What a great idea! Thanks. How nice to have those letters all in one place and be able to go back in time. Merry Christmas! Looking forward to our chat next week.

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a great tip using that Press and Seal is. I've also seen suggestions to use it like this, drawing out your quilting pattern on it and pressing it to the quilt rather than marking directly on the top. Have yet to try that but have the Press and Seal when I'm inspired!

Enjoy looking through your Christmas pasts safely tucked away in the freshly covered binder. Eat hearty and connect with family however you can - Happy Holidays!

Paula said...

I don't know when you moved to Tucson, but welcome! We moved here 40.5 years ago and don't ever want to move back to the cold and snow. Reports of 1 and 4 degrees with several inches of snow and low visibility from my brothers this morning help me appreciate my Tucson Christmas weather! Once again, welcome and Merry Christmas.

Norma Schlager said...

Your Christmas blook is beyond gorgeous and such a great idea. I like your Press and Seal embroidery tips.
Merry Christmas!

Robbie said...

What a wonderful idea and what a keepsake! You did a lovely job on the cover and thanks for showing us another way to transfer lettering!!! Happy New Year to you! It will be a great one!!!