Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, October 11, 2021

Colors of Madison


My trip to visit my son and daughter-in-law in Madison, WI, started with a gorgeous sunrise at the Tucson airport. When I got to their house, the zinnias in their garden were every bit as colorful.

I haven't seen them since September 2019 because of Covid, so there was much to catch up on, including meeting the new puppy and seeing the new garden.


The day I arrived, Keith harvested tomatillos, peppers, tomatoes and onions and made a zesty tomatillo salsa.

They also have a bumper crop of Swiss chard, kale and squash.


I also got to meet the "girls" for the first time ...


... the chickens who give such beautifully colored eggs. You're allowed four chickens per household within Madison city limits, so that's how many they got, raising them from little chicks. Keith built a luxury chicken coop for them.


And what is fall in the Midwest without a trip to a farmers market, where we got a mixture of crispy apples.


Phoebe, the new pup, was very interested in the apples. But she looks cutest when she's curled up in her bed.


The older dog, Penny, has this cute way of spreading her front legs when she sleeps.


Walking the dogs is a big part of the day.


I couldn't stop taking pictures of the fall color on our walks -- that's something I don't get in Tucson unless I drive up into the mountains.


It's been overcast and drizzly much of the trip, but we went on a hike anyway in Owen Conservation Park, near Keith and Rachel's house.




On one of the sunny, hot days (in the 80s!), we drove down to Rockford, IL, to celebrate Rachel's birthday with her family. Here we are with her parents.


We ate at this table that Keith made for her parents out of reclaimed barn wood. I had seen pictures of it but this was the first time I saw it in person. It's beautiful.


The terrain between Madison and Rockford is full of farmland and big skies. We lived in Rockford for 10 years before moving to Washington, so it was a bit of a homecoming for me.


Back in Madison, I'm staying in this great Airbnb that Rachel found for me! For only 80-some dollars a night, it has a big living room, kitchen and dining area, bedroom, library, exercise room, bathroom, office area and ...


... the most relaxing backyard right outside the sliding doors. Way to go, Rachel!


Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

It sounds like you are having a wonderful time!

Lynda said...

What a great visit! So glad you were able to go.

Robbie said...

What a great trip! Good for you...love the room(s) where you stayed!!! Pups are so cute and that table is awesome!!!! Wonderful workmanship!!! So glad you got in this visit after such a long time!