Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, October 20, 2021

Hiking weather is back!


It's hiking weather, finally, in southern Arizona after a long hot summer. Just as those of you up north are pulling on sweaters and pouring hot chocolate, we desert dwellers are putting on sun hats and sunscreen as we hit the trails, golf courses and restaurant patios.

The record high summer rains left the desert greener and lusher than anyone here can remember. Old timers say to soak it up because it might be a once-in-a-lifetime event, seeing this much green on the mountains.

Now that the highs have "cooled" down into the 80s, it's time to hit the trails again. I still only go early in the mornings, when it's in the 60s, but I met a guy on the trail yesterday who said he hikes all summer starting at 4:30 a.m.! Maybe I'll eventually get there. He's lived here more than 40 years, so he has a little head start.

This beautiful weather has made me a happy hiker! Here I am this morning on the Birding Loop at Catalina State Park. I went out by myself for a quick hike to get the day started.


A lot of the summer grasses and other greenery are starting to turn golden now that it's fall. Here are a few examples from this morning's hike. Those are the Santa Catalina Mountains, by the way.





I love these two saguaros. They remind me of someone who walks the straight and narrow path (on the left) and that other person who just has to be different (on the right).


I also hiked in Catalina yesterday, on the Canyon Loop. There were some clouds floating around the mountains, but it was mostly blue sky and short-sleeve temps.

We came across some local firefighters practicing rescue techniques.


They set up this contraption at the top of a steep hill to rescue a dummy named Dominic. 


I took this picture from the picnic area where I relaxed while waiting for my friend to show up. I was so excited to get back on the trails, and this view of sunny trees through the darker  trunks made me think of the coming months unfolding.


In other news here in the Wild West, a bull got loose and wandered into a Tucson neighborhood. Police corralled him until his owner could take him back to the ranch. Never a dull moment!


Have a colorful day

1 comment:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I'm so glad you're able to get back out on the trails! I know you must enjoy every hike, and I love all the photos you share. Happy hiking!