Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, October 29, 2021

Hike, eat, sew



I've been doing a lot of hiking lately now that the weather is cooler. These two photos are from the Sweetwater Preserve, an area flush with saguaros in the Tucson Mountains west of the city.


After that hike, my friend and I ate at Teresa's Mosaic Cafe, an iconic Mexican restaurant nearby.


Every table has a different mosaic ...

... and the color continues with festive Mexican paper cutouts, called papel picado, hanging from the ceiling.

In sewing news, I finally made a casserole carrier from a pattern I bought years ago using fabric I bought when I visited Tucson in February 2020 on my house hunting trip.


And I made three more spirit dolls commissioned by a friend to give as gifts. She sent me descriptions of the three friends and I used that info to choose the fabric.




Now I'm waiting for a painter to show up to repair the mess left by the previous handyman who had glowing reviews that were probably all fakes written by his friends. If you can't trust the reviews and the handymen recommended by your friends are all too busy, what do you do? I found the disastrous one on Angi.com, which I'll never use again. My ex-husband used to do all of our repairs, but now it takes me months to find anyone to help.

Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Susan said...

I feel your pain! We moved South for retirement. Not knowing anyone in the area we also referenced Angi's list for home repair and yard work. Never again! No shows for estimates, extremely high estimates and one guy that even told us he would only come to do the estimate if we hired him! On a more positive note...I love you exuberant colors and projects! Look forward to seeing what you are up too!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

OMG, your new dolls are adorable! And your casserole carrier is lovely... great idea!
I love that you are doing more exploring of new hiking areas, and that you have friends to do things with - you've come a long way from when you first moved there!
As for reliable help, it's really hard. When I find someone who does a good job, I use them and recommend them, but they seem to be harder to find now. Maybe you should write an article about that for your local paper! Might parlay into a column... lol!

Robbie said...

Love your spirit dolls! Recipients will be delighted too!!! I love Mexican or Tex-Mex food...love your hiking pics and tales!

Janice Smith said...

The mosaic table top would make a fun quilt!
Glad things are cooling off, so you can enjoy doing more hiking.