Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

Spirit dolls and surgery


I just made my last spirit dolls of the year and took them to the gallery. They're slowly getting bigger -- about 7 inches wide and 14 or so inches high. The blue one is "Starlight," the purple is "Full Moon," and the one with the Australian fabric is "Desert Paths." I wanted to call it "Walkabout" or "Dream Time," but I'm wary of being accused of cultural appropriation. (In my mind it's honoring another culture, but ...)



I know they're the last dolls of the year because my redo shoulder surgery is tomorrow morning and it will be awhile after that before I can sew.

After I delivered the dolls, I rewarded myself with lunch at Mosaic Cafe II -- chicken enchiladas with a spicy green sauce. 

On Christmas Day I made this tree of pizza dough and a cheesy spinach filling. You sandwich the filling between two triangles of pizza dough (the kind you get in a tube at the grocery store, but I'm sure homemade would be even better). Then you slice and twist the branches and bake it until golden. The final delicious step is to brush it with melted butter and herbs. I've seen recipes for all kinds of fillings, including Nutella.

I also hiked Christmas Day, so I felt justified eating the tree for lunch and breakfast the next day. I hope you all had a Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, or whatever you celebrate!

Have a colorful day



5 comments:

Linda Schiffer said...

Good luck and a quick recovery with your surgery!!

:) Linda

The Idaho Beauty said...

Good luck with this second surgery - make sure it sticks! I'm with you about all the (over) sensitivity around even a hint of cultural appropriation. But since you are selling these, I guess you have to be careful.

Your pizza dough tree is so different and sounds yummy. I'll be making my traditional turkey enchiladas New Year's Eve - mine are made with red enchilada sauce but those you got at the cafe sound really good too. Too bad we can't enjoy an order together. Take care and the best to you in 2023.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love the spirit dolls, each one is a delight to see! And the tree looks really yummy!
With all the hiking you do, I'm sure you'll burn those calories off. I hope your surgery goes well, and your recovery is speedy. Sending good thoughts your way, and may 2023 be your best year yet!

Jody said...

Wishing you every success with your redo shoulder surgery! Also a very quick recovery.

I love your spirit dolls. And although cultural appropriation grates on many 'settlers' it has a very real impact on all involved. Including the appropriator. So good on you for not doing that!

Robbie said...

OK, I'm behind...what is redo of shoulder surgery!!!! Holy heck...dinner looks great! I'll need to go back a few days or weeks to see what's up with the shoulder! So sorry...but Happy New Year!