Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, December 15, 2022

Spokane Christmas trip canceled



I was supposed to be visiting my daughter in her cozy house in Spokane right now, but I had to cancel because she got sick with what sounds like the flu (even though she was vaccinated). I'm super bummed because the last time I tried to visit her, in June, I had to cancel because she had Covid! (The only two times she's been sick all year.) So I haven't seen her in 1 1/2 years. And her fiancé graduates today from nursing school and I promised a year ago that I would be there to help celebrate.

The day before I was to leave I baked sugar cookies for them, something I haven't done since my kids were little. I was so bummed that I dug them out of my suitcase and started eating them. Then I got a grip and packed all their presents up and took them to the post office.

Then I was looking at an empty calendar for the next week, so I sewed three spirit dolls for a friend who ordered them for Christmas.

The first one is for a woman who helps immigrants and refugees who arrive in Tacoma, which is why I used an ethnic print and "helping hand" charm.


The flowery one is for a watercolor artist with a whimsical style.


The last one is for a hiker and nature lover, so of course I had to make her green!

If you want to order any, they're $25 plus $5 for shipping. Email me: sherriequilt@yahoo.com

Then I made a set of four bowl cozies because the other day a friend was over for soup and I only had one bowl cozy. Now I'll be prepared.

(To see what other fabric artists have been doing this past week, hop over to: /)


It's been too nippy to go hiking -- look at the snow on Mt. Lemmon! We didn't have snow at my elevation, but I've had to cover my potted flowers the last two nights because we had a hard freeze. Which brings me to the next picture ...


Since I'm saving $900 by not having to stay at a hotel in Spokane for a week (I can't sleep at my daughter's because I'm terribly allergic to her cat), I decided to finally get one of those puff jackets that stuffs into a little pouch on the inside. It will be great for hiking. I got this Patagonia one at REI for half off yesterday, which is the cost of one night at the hotel. And I love the color!


And my daughter's advent chest that she gave me revealed this little disco ball ornament the other day -- plus chocolates, of course.


This would be my dream house in Tucson. I've always wanted an adobe with a turquoise door and soft curves. But for now I'm happy where I am.

Have a colorful day



3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

That new jacket looks fantastic on you - never would have considered that color but it suits you. And would have been perfect to wear in cold cold Spokane. So disappointing to miss out on the time with your daughter and the fiance. Hopefully she recovers quickly and you do too from your disappointment. You're well on your way with creating those new spirit dolls and bowl cozies. Take care!

sonja said...

i bought some of that insular batting with intension of making bowl cozies. cause i am a big ramen eater. any tips on making? sorry you can't visit your daughter and her fiancé at this time. Spirit dolls are uplifting!
take care, sonja

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love the new dolls! Yours are always so cheery and bright! And the bowl cozies are very nice... I have never tried making those, but I know they're a very popular item.

I hope Julia is on the mend, and that you will be able to visit her soon.

Your jacket looks very warm and comfy... bet you get some use out of it when you go hiking this winter!