Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, August 25, 2026

Fresh from Apple Annie's


Over the weekend my friends and I made the two-hour drive east to buy fruit and veggies at the Apple Annie's farm in Willcox, AZ. It was 107 at home but "only" got up to 99 degrees in Willcox, which is higher in elevation. 


As soon as we parked in front of the tractors, I knew I had to have Debbie and Jan pose in front of them for the blog and they cheerfully obliged.



Jan even scrambled up into the giant wooden chair for a photo. And she didn't even roll her eyes like a lot of my friends do when I ask them to pose at a corny spot!


My haul was corn, apples, tomatoes, cantaloupe, peppers and an Asian pear.


Their sweet corn is famous, and so are the peaches and apples. Unfortunately we were a little late to buy fresh peaches, but we did each get a piece of warm peach pie. And I bought four varieties of apples.


There was a line at the roasted corn station, where you slathered your ear with melted butter and then chose from dozens of shaker jars of seasonings. I wasn't going to get any because it was so hot outside, but I'm glad I did. And I sat at a picnic table under the misters so it didn't feel too bad.


The pepper choice was amazing! I got a big poblano and a sweet red bell pepper. I'm going to roast them in the oven and then stretch them out over a few meals.


There were bright, beautiful flowers, and the fields stretched forever toward the mountains.


On our drive home we headed toward monsoon clouds that would soon cover Tucson, but we only got a few sprinkles on the drive. It was a fun day, but I was sapped by the heat and collapsed on the couch as soon as I got home. A few hours later I was microwaving the corn in the husks and sampling one of the crisp apples. Excellent!


Have a colorful day


1 comment:

friend Jan said...

I’m SO glad you chronicled our trip and the pictures are fantastic! We’ll have to go back earlier next year for peaches. What a wonderful day!