Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, August 19, 2021

Family time in Los Angeles


I just got back from a week of family time in Los Angeles to celebrate my dad's 90th birthday. Here's the whole gang -- my parents on the right and me surrounded by my brother, two sisters and their husbands, and Zoomie the dog. It was our first time together in four years.


My mom will be 90 in January. I think both of them could pass for much younger. They finally let their 30-year gym membership lapse during Covid, but they exercise several times a day at home and watch their diet carefully.

My dad doesn't normally eat cake, but we gave him a chocolate one for his big day. The T-shirt that my sister gave him was quite appropriate, as he lifts weights daily and is NOT like most old men.

Here are the four sibs: Kevin drove up from San Diego, Kathleen (second from right) drove down from Washington state, Terry flew out from Louisville, and I flew from Tucson.


We had beach time (Redondo Beach) ...


... cookie time ...

... and an ice cream binge.


I also walked along the cliffs on the Palos Verdes Peninsula ...

... where I met this seven-year-old pet tortoise who walks there every day with her human (not the woman in the photo). She's carrying her apricot snack on her back.

I went down to San Diego with my brother for the weekend where we watched the surfers in Encinitas (below) and had a fabulous Mexican meal as well as the ice cream night pictured above. All in all, it was a great trip and I hope we can do it again for my mom's 90th!


Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Edith Bieri-Hanselmann said...

Hi Sherrie, I'm so glad you could all celebrate your father's 90th birthday. My father turned 90 in May and we also had a family celebration, but of course we are all living closer together.
Edith from Switzerland

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Looks like a great visit for you all, and that's lovely. Your folks do look young for their age! And I love seeing the resemblance between you, your folks and your siblings.

Robbie said...

How wonderful you had this time with family!!! We had no power then not internet for four days! That was the worse...no Internet. HA Just getting caught up on blog reading!

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

How wonderful to have this family time! We love San Diego and moonlight beach in Encinitas is our fav! Headed there in a few weeks to escape the dryness of Nevada