Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Art quilter Debra Kay


I finally have some art quilt news to blog about, thanks to an email from an artist from Maricopa, AZ, named Debra Kay! She has been following my blog and emailed me to let me know she would be teaching a workshop in Tucson and could we meet up during a break in the class. Of course!

Check out her story and art at

The four-day workshop was at a place in the Tucson Mall called CATALYST Collaborative Arts & Maker Space about-catalyst.html, which was also new to me. Here's a photo of some of her students in the fabulous, colorful classroom. Besides offering classroom space, Catalyst provides space for art exhibits, concerts, a teaching kitchen, art and digital art studios, a robotics and engineering lab, a community room and more. I'm so glad Debra put it on my radar. 


But back to Debra. Her workshop taught 12 art quilt techniques, which were worked on six reversible panels that were attached accordion style. I think it's an ingenious way to present the teachings. Here are some closeups of what she taught:

The panel above features the skeleton of a prickly pear cactus pad that she varnished.

Her panels were in fall colors and used techniques such as couching, beading, hand embroidery, reverse appliqué and more. The other students were having fun with their own colors and unique found objects that were incorporated into their pieces.



I didn't take a lot of pictures because  they had to get back to business, but check out Debra's website to see more of her art and classes.

Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Susan Sawatzky said...

You didn't take the class?!

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a fabulous find, or should I say, being found. I too love that way of displaying the work. It all looks very different from what I'm seeing elsewhere. I hope you two continue to stay in touch.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Oh how lovely! And I'm intrigued by Catalyst! Will check out both Debra's and Catalyst's links. I love that she uses found objects in her work, gal after my own heart!