Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Drenched in sunshine

Tucson is the fifth sunniest city in the United States, according to recent ratings by Daily Passport, one of those sites that lists interesting places around the world. 

Four of the top 10 sunniest cities are in Arizona: Yuma (1) not only in the country but in the world; Phoenix (4); Tucson (5); and Flagstaff (10). Here's the article: sunniest-cities-in-america

We have more than 350 sunny days a year, with sunshine 85 percent of the possible time. It's why I moved here!


And it's why Catalina State Park is filled with snow birders, spring breakers and locals right now. Just yesterday I saw license plates there from Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Idaho, South Dakota, Florida, New Hampshire, Washington, Oregon, Utah, California, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Mexico, and probably some more that I've forgotten.


Just look at that brilliant blue sky, and all the possibilities for sunny hikes! I've been hiking there a lot this past week, soaking up sun and marveling at the bright greens in our desert. And now glowing yellow poppies are blanketing the desert and roadsides.




Can you believe this is the desert!?



This is a rare crested saguaro, where the tip grows into a bulbous "crest."


It's definitely my happy place!


And I'm carrying the sunny theme into my sewing room by making yellow cloth for my spirit dolls. 

Have a colorful day




1 comment:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, you did pick the right spot to move! Yep, I'm not surprised you are packed with visitors right now. I hope they treat the trails kindly so you home folk don't have to pick up after them. Enjoy your sunshine - we're due for snow!