Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Color in the ice and snow


I ventured into the snow and ice yesterday to see what I could see in our yard. I was on the lookout for color.

I found red berries and branches sheathed in ice.



A woodpecker's red head popped against the gray world.


From the kitchen window (when I came inside for a chocolate fix), these yellow flowers glowed against the muted woods.





No, I'm not hallucinating from the chocolate, but I did have a flashback to this summer scene (above) as I took a photo from the same spot yesterday:


This is also the scene of the devastion below, where a tree fell during the storm and landed on my little seating area.


Here's another flashback to that same spot last summer, when I was sitting in that same chair. My embroidery supplies were on the table now covered with snow. 




More branches bow under the weight of the ice, above, while sturdier trees, below, stand majestically in the snow.





Our neighbors made a snow fisherman, and my Kokopelli yard art did an ice dance.


How's the weather in your part of the world?

Have a colorful day

3 comments:

Julia said...

The berry photo is so good! Today it is rainy, windy, and gray. I just went to the store for enough chocolate chips to last me through the week (I know I'll need them).

Judy Ferguson said...

Your pictures made me flashback to our 2007 ice age. Hope to never see that again. Today, we are just windy with a chill. The berry picture could be turned into an art quilt. Don't you think?

The Idaho Beauty said...

You've done a fine job of finding some great color. Not much going on here weatherwise. It must have been a bit warm last night. I kept hearing these thumps. The first one sounded like a car door slamming, but a look out the window said no. I was dosing on the couch and another woke me sounding like someone on the porch. No again. Eventually I realized it was snow sliding off the metal roof. We've had so little snow this year that I haven't had a chance to get used to that noise.