Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

New business cards


Voila, my new business cards!


I started an art quilters group a few months ago in Gig Harbor, and we decided that we should make business cards to exchange in the style of ATCs -- artist trading cards. So that was the impetus, the kick in the pants I needed.

I started with pieces of blue and orange collaged fabric left over from a project about six years ago. I cut them a little bigger than 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches (the size we agreed on), and printed some business cards on card stock. Then I cut Peltex -- the kind that's fusible on both sides -- to the finished size of the cards. The Peltex is thick and stiff, so the cards will hold their shape. It's easy to stitch through, although I didn't do that.


I fused the fabric on one side and the cards on the other, then trimmed the excess. I love snippets of leftovers, so I took this photo before I threw them out. It's really hard for me to throw out colorful scraps of anything.


Then I started arranging them in different designs and decided they'd make a cool quilt. So maybe I'll collage some more fabric and cut it in rectangles for a tile-like quilt.



Thanks, art quilters' group, for giving me the incentive to move on this!

Have a colorful day

14 comments:

Norma Schlager said...

They look terrific! I love the colors and all the texture and, you're right, it would make a great quilt.

Annette said...

What a fantastic idea... well done
hugs

Judy Ferguson said...

I use Peltex too. Did you know it comes in black too? The black does not have fusible on it, but it makes the edges look good.

ellen gets crafty said...

Each of your cards is a work of art - great idea.

Karen S Musgrave said...

Wow! Love them!

Sherrie Spangler said...

Thanks everyone. I like Judy's suggestion of black Peltex. I'm not crazy about my white edges and black would look a lot nicer.

The Idaho Beauty said...

How clever is that? These are really cool. I'm a little jealous...;-)

Maxine Oliver said...

What a great idea. I would never have thought to use them as business cards. Thanks

Maxine Oliver said...

What a great idea. I would never have thought to use them as business cards. Thanks

Unknown said...

Very yummy, Sherrie!

Pam said...

I just LOVE your work, Sherrie--everything you do is so uplifting and...well, colorful!!!
Really pretty!! I've cut up old watercolors to make tags for pricing and "stories" for art quilts and boho bags, but think I'm gonna look at my fabric project "rejects" with an eye for using them in this sort of format. Such a cool idea!

Funky Diva said...

Pretty cool. Maggie Winfield

MulticoloredPieces said...

Hi, Sherrie. Marvelous cards. I like the way you can make different arrangements of them.
best from Tunisia,
nadia

Joseph said...

Looks like very crafty business cards i need some simple or plan cards.
Clear Business Cards
Scratch Cards
Printed Gift Cards