Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Tea to the rescue


Tea dying the ugly fabric.

Not a pretty site.

I decided to tea dye some of the ugly challenge fabric to tone it down. I also threw a piece of white fabric in the tea so I'd have a coordinating strip.

Now it's REALLY ugly ... at least to my mind, because I don't generally like anything brown or beige unless it's chocolate. I may end up using the original.


From left: original ugly, tea-dyed ugly, tea-dyed white.
So I browsed my stash and found the chocolate bunny fabric that coordinates colorwise with the tea-dyed ugly. Then I pulled out some vegetable fabric (since rabbits eat veggies) that picked up on the brown and pink. The green and purple help jazz things up.


But once everything is sliced and diced with the Rayna method the rabbits and veggies will probably be lost, so I may just use them as color inspiration ... or I might go in a totally different direction. More later ...

Have a colorful day

3 comments:

Judy Ferguson said...

Tea dyeing is one of my favorite things to do to fabrics that just don't work. And..don't stop there. I am using tea bags to make new art. So, nothing is wasted.

Karen S Musgrave said...

I found that Tazo Passion tea makes a very nice pink.I also found that coffee made a nicer brown. Have fun! Can't wait to see what you do. Hugs, Karen

Ladybug said...

Am waiting with baited breath to see what comes of this...