Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Bend, Oregon: My kind of sky



I love sunsets and I love orange and blue together, so I REALLY loved this sunset in Bend, OR, last week. It was my first visit to the high desert city, and I found the perfect spot to take in a 360-degree view of the city, mountains and sky: the top of Pilot Butte State Scenic Lookout, an old cinder cone.


This (above) is how the sky looked at the beginning of the show. And here is how the drama unfolded over the next hour:










The Cascade Mountains were hazy because of smoke from the fires that have been burning in central Oregon for weeks. The view point was filled with people watching the show and taking photos. Below, you can see part of the city.


More about Pilot Butte: 

* It's an extinct volcano, and Bend is one of only a very few cities in the United States with a volcano within its city limits.
* It rises nearly 500 feet above the surrounding plains.
* The popular hiking trail to the top winds through stands of juniper, sage, and other high desert plants.
* The city launches its Fourth of July fireworks from this point.

It was exhilarating! Sunrises are probably just as beautiful from that spot, but I'll never know firsthand.

Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Julia said...

Nice how the colors get richer as it gets later in the day. These remind me of your painted silk scarves!

Pam said...

Oh Sherrie--I've just caught up with reading your posts--from harvest moon, blackberries in the backyard, to volcanic sunsets, I've been oooohing and aaahhhhing!! I really enjoy traveling around with you (vicariously!) whether it's in your own backyard, heighboring towns or farther away from home; your words are lyrical and your photography is fantastic!! Thanks for posting so consistently--I'm sitting here with my morning coffee, after having had a freakish night at work and going to leave for work again in an hour or so, reading your blog and seeing your amazing photo's really starts my day in an upbeat and truly happy state of mind. Wonderful!!!

Ladybug said...

Really lovely - some of the good things to come from all the fires are the gorgeous sunsets/sunrises.

Have not been to Bend, but guess we'd better plan to visit one of these days!

Oh, and I second all of what Pam said...