Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Good news!

Detail from one of my framed collages.

I just got a surprise email from Interweave Press telling me they were resurrecting my article on Framed Fabric Collages to use in a new series of quilting and sewing leaflets coming out next spring.



So I took a few of the collages outside to photograph for you. I went through a period about seven years ago when I made and sold a lot of these, then I moved on to other things. They're fun to do, especially if you can find precut mats and frames at a good price. All you do is take fabric snippets and beads and make a little piece to place behind the mat opening. I leave the glass out of the frames.

Framed collage using hand-painted fabric, gold foil and beads.

This one is called "Morning Energy" because ONCE, when I was up uncharacteristically early on a bright spring morning, I felt that surge of energy. Mostly I'm in a foggy, groggy state until almost noon because I'm a night owl. Around midnight I start to perk up and the creative juices really flow.



While I was photographing these, I got distracted by the abundance of sweet blackberries in our side yard and stopped to pick a big bowlful. Most of the branches had much fuller clumps of ripe berries than this photo, but this one photographed better because of the contrast of ripe and still red berries.





Have a colorful day


2 comments:

Judy Ferguson said...

Very simple things that make a great presentation. Really great pieces.

Ladybug said...

Congratulations! Those small framed fabric collages are beautiful and I'll bet were quite popular when you did them.

The berries are luscious!