Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, May 20, 2018

More embellishing



I finally settled in at the sewing table in the new house to further embellish the wool applique blocks that I started a year ago. Buttons, beads and embroidery -- you can never have too much!


I'm adding French knots to the vine on the house with this hand-dyed pearl cotton thread. A great source for that is www.artfabrik.com, which is basically Laura Wasilowski.


I also hung up my thread racks, which hold my "fancy" threads. Well, not all of them. I won the two on the left about 25 years ago, my daughter gave me the sun rack, and my son made the calendar from photos that he took hiking in the North Cascades. So it's also my memory wall.


I like to machine quilt with gold thread, so I pick up YLI spools whenever I see the gold. I haven't had as much luck with silver, which breaks more often for me. I've tried all different brands, with YLI working best in my machine (a Bernina 1260).


Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Robbie said...

Your wool applique blocks are wonderful...all your embellishment(s) is perfect! As is the color!!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love your embellishments, and the thread racks are wonderful! Re: the metallic thread, I have only recently been adventurous enough to use it for any of my sewing, and found that switching to a metallic needle helped a lot... who knew? Anyway, glad to see you are settling in so you can get back to the important things, like creating! Enjoy...

Shirlee Fassell said...

Your wool appliqué blocks are wonderful and love the metal thread holders. I love to use metallic thread in my tambour embroidery.

Lynda said...

Wow Sherrie, These are way cute!!