Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, June 9, 2018

New recycled clothes project



My last post talks about how I saved my old patched and embroidered clothes from the '70s, and today's post is about cutting up a pile of old favorite clothes to turn them into a quilt.

I wore these favorite linen shirts over the last 20 years until they were literally falling apart. I love the rich colors and the loose, comfy fit. Same with the soft, cotton batik print robe. The denim dotted dress is another favorite from 20 years ago that I didn't want to give up but I knew I'd never wear it again, even though it's still in good shape.


I thought about artistically patching the shirts, but most of the holes were in the arm pits or under the collar.


So today I cut them up, allowing room around the seams and pockets to sew them into the design and make them design elements.


They're filling up the floor of my studio!


I'm thinking of a wonky, free-form design, sort of like the Gee's Bend quilts. But I have to think about it for a day or so before proceeding.


In other news, look at this photo my daughter sent of Bunners and Charlie! It's the yin-yang of bunnies. 


Have a colorful day


2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

How fun! Reminds me of a quilt my grandma or great grandma made of scraps of old clothing, mostly silks I think. It was yarn knotted if I remember correctly... it was in use for many years before it fell apart. Have fun!

Lynda said...

What a neat idea! Looking forward to see more progress on it.