Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Throwback Thursday


Throwback to the 1970s.
Can you smell the patchouli
and hear the music?

On my daughter's last visit she tried on some of my clothes from the '70s, and today I dug back into the box for another trip down memory lane.


I made the yellow gauze tunic top when I was in my early 20s and when my embroidery skills were limited. I used a pattern for the top but designed the embroidery motifs myself. I still love tunic tops, since they cover a multitude of aging issues.


And those jeans! I don't remember wearing them when they were that ripped, but I do remember doing all the embroidery to cover worn spots.



Another embroidered denim piece that I saved is this pair of cutoffs. I remember wearing them a lot during summer session at Penn State when we didn't have air conditioning. The patch on the bottom says "Honor Earth." The first Earth Day was in 1970, so I made that a few years later. 


Patches upon patches upon patches.


Do you remember when everyone inserted triangles into their bellbottoms to turn them into long skirts? I wore this skirt a lot at parties in college combined with a purple tube top shot through with metallic silver threads. The good old days!


I still have a piece of that purple fabric in my stash.


Does anyone else out there have a box like this, and what's in it?


Have a colorful day


3 comments:

Robbie said...

Oh, I love that you've kept this precious 'memories' all these years! It's fun to look back or think back upon those times! And, I don't know many who know about patchouli oil/scent! One fellow I worked with years ago recognized the smell about 20+ years ago and told me what the smell was! I was shocked because he was very young...funny...

Lynda said...

Sherrie,

Oh my! I had some of those jean shorts and of course, the jean skirt made from jeans. And yes, the scent of the time, Patchouli. You just took me back in time this morning!! Not sure about good ole days, but they sure were interesting.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, you are amazing! I don't have the faintest memory of what I was wearing back then except for a couple of mini skirt outfits and a granny dress! I do remember making a pair of "Judy's Jeans" when designer jeans came out... they were so expensive I decided to make my own with an embroidered pocket. And I don't recognize the scent name, but I'll bet it had a musk base, right? Shades of the past!