Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, June 2, 2018

A colorful Mexican feast!


I showed you the corn and tomatillo sauce yesterday, and here's the full Monty from last night's Mexican feast with good friends Paula and Duane and their son, Nathan. It was the inaugural party for our new house.


Paula brought ample appetizers, including the most delicious roasted nuts and a flavorful cilantro dipping sauce.



Dave made carnitas and I made chicken enchiladas verde for the main dishes. Below, Duane mashes the refried beans and Dave toasts the tortillas.


We rounded it out with guacamole, rice, Mexican corn salad and the usual toppings.



I ate modestly because I wanted to save room for the grand finale, my Texas sheet cake!!! It's from the "Texas Home Cooking" cookbook, and I've been making it for almost 25 years. A friend gave me the book when I moved from Kansas to El Paso back in 1994 and it's one of my favorite go-to cookbooks.


Ole!


2 comments:

Robbie said...

As I said, Mexican is my favorite (we're having it tonight!)...your dish(es) look fantastic! And the sheet cake!!! WOW!!! I"ll have to look it up!!!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

OMG, my mouth is watering from all the beautiful food pix! And thanks to you, I had a chocolate cake dream the other night! Looks like a veritable feast, and I'll bet you all enjoyed it. Nice!