Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, June 3, 2018

May color block


April showers brought May flowers in Gig Harbor, so my photographs for the May block are bursting with color, unlike grey April!


I pulled out fabric to match the photos, including plenty of sheer silk, netting and metallic mesh. The sheers help blend the underlying colors together.



My first arrangement, below, was too harsh,
like a stew where the flavors haven't blended.


The second one was better still lacked something:


After I added some cheesecloth and more tulle and cut the long yellow strip of organza into shorter lengths, I liked it:


I quilted it with pink thread in honor of the pink rhododendrons that filled our neighborhood. Now it's on to June!

I linked this to Nina-Marie's Off-the-Wall Fridays: creative-vacations-part-i-off-wall.html


On another note, I did a double take yesterday evening when I walked past my quilted apple placemat and saw how the very low western sun (left side) and shadow from a teapot (right side) made it look like two completely different placemats.


Something to keep in mind when photographing quilts.


Have a colorful day


2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

So many lovely colors for May. And you finally got them blended - very nice!

Rather shocking difference on that placemat.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love the colors in your May block! It must be getting warmer and sunnier every day there, and the flowers in your area are wonderful! Looking forward to seeing more pix, and I enjoy how you pull your fabrics together to go with the photos. And what an interesting contrast you captured on the placemat!