Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, January 18, 2019

Happy color from the archives



Since I haven't much new to show you in the way of sewing, and because I'm still feeling pretty down, I thought I'd pull out some happy pictures of my old work.

First some scarves. Years ago, STITCH had a retreat at Anne's beach home on Whidbey Island. I made Anne a scarf inspired by a photo I took from her kitchen window. That photo and the scarf are first up in this post. I love, love, LOVE, those soft clear colors.


Next is another scarf I made and wore with Carol while we were staffing a table on the Gig Harbor Garden Tour. Someone actually bought it right off of me.


Then there was my Jelly Roll 1600 phase, and I'm wrapped in one of those with an iced mocha, before I switched to iced tea to cut back on sugar.

Below are a few of us from the quilt guild meeting with the fabulous Freddy Moran in front of one of her quilts on display at the old Island Quilter on Vashon Island. Her motto is, "Red is a neutral." (I'm wearing another scarf that I made, this one knitted.)


And here I am with a small quilt of mine but it's one of my favorites, "Starfish Rising." It was on display at the International Quilt Festival's West Coast Wonders exhibit in Long Beach, CA.



Next we look at STRONG WOMEN!


Here I am again, this time in front of a quilt that I made mainly of painted silk organza. I remember feeling strong when that photo was taken, although the quilt is called, "She's Come Undone" because I let it disintegrate at the bottom.


"Mary Conquers Cancer" is a piece I made for an auction to benefit breast cancer patients. It was inspired by my friend Mary who asked me to walk with her throughout the snowy, cold Illinois winter while she was undergoing breast cancer treatment. By the time spring arrived, she had finished the treatments, I was teaching her to knit and she was planning her garden.


This little square quilt is called "Chocolate Nirvana In Red." I used the foil from Hershey Kisses to dress my alter ego calmly strong yoga lady.

FAMILY


Here is my daughter, Julia, after I made her pretend she was meditating  so I could use the photo in a quilt. We had been laughing and goofing around on the front porch, and she groaned when I pulled out the camera and told her to close her eyes and "meditate."

"Days of Togetherness" is the quilt I made for my son, Keith, and his wife, Rachel, for a wedding gift. It's an Apache wedding blessing that reads:

"Now you will feel no rain, for each will be shelter for the other. Now you will feel no cold, for each will be warmth for the other. Now there will be no loneliness, for each will be companion for the other. Now you are two persons, but there is one life before you. May beauty surround you in the journey ahead, and through all the years. May happiness be your companion. May your days together be good and long upon the earth."


Just happy colors:




I'm linking to Nina-Marie's Off the Wall Friday so you can see what other fiber artists have been up to this week: ninamariesayer.blogspot.com

Another colorful scarf as I stand in front of "Searching."

Thanks for indulging me, and ...

 Have a colorful day



5 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

What a wonderful treat for the eyes this post is! And it says a lot about who you are, and how much you reach out and affect others in such a positive loving way. May your down days be short lived, and may color and sunshine be in your life soon, and always! <3

Rachel Desertspring said...

We love our wedding quilt! You have the most beautiful creations Sherrie, I love your art!

Robbie said...

First, the Apache wedding poem is beautiful!!! Your 'Searching' quilt is wonderful....and I think appropriate....you take care!!! Positive thoughts my friend...try to do some artwork......

Gwyned Trefethen said...

So many happy memories, even though they aren't mine, I feel my mood lightening.

Norma Schlager said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful work.