Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Sew Day color


This month I hosted Sew Day, and we talked, sewed and ate for six hours! It was productive and encouraging and generally great.

Nancy and I were both working on the same wool applique block from Sue Spargo's Fresh Cut book. That is Sue's version on the right, Nancy's in the middle, and mine on the left. I love Nancy's and decided that mine needs more contrast ... maybe some bright coral on the orange flower and some contrasting stitching around the purple vase.


Linda J. had two show and tells. The quilt above is one you already saw in my STITCH post, but now you can also see the fabulous print on the back and a detail shot. It's HAND applique!



She also showed us this lovely, peaceful green and brown top she's working on for her son and his wife.


It's from a pattern by Mieke Duyck and was in an old Quiltmania magazine. (I don't have the date.)


Next is Nancy's coffee quilt, which we passed around years ago for a round robin. She's finishing up the binding and the sleeve. I still haven't quilted mine.


Linda P. was working on this very colorful, sweet bird table mat in wool applique.


Linda P. also made this great suede bag from a skirt that she thrifted!


She made it just the right size to hold her bobbins of thread that she uses for applique projects.


Linda J. finally caught the wool applique bug and was working on this fun winter table topper. I think I'll make that pattern for next Christmas. Carolynn and Linda P. have already made it.


And of course there was the food.


I let Costco do the work for the first time ever, due to my tiredness because of sleepless nights because of the stressful situation I've mentioned in earlier posts this year. I did bake a Texas chocolate sheet cake, but I didn't get any good pictures and now it's history. We had tortilla rollups, Mediterranean crunch salad, fruit and cheese.



Have a colorful day


1 comment:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Sounds like just what the Dr. ordered, a sew day with good friends! And I love the bowl with all your lovely floss in coordinating colors... as for the sleepless nights, I'm hoping they will abate soon. Unresolved issues always tend to take away sleep as we struggle with solutions, relive situations, etc. Continuing to send positive thoughts your way, and so looking forward to our upcoming visit in March!