Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, June 17, 2019

"Summertime" wool table mat is done!


I just finished my "Summertime" wool applique table mat, eight days after I started it! I wanted to get it done before the official start of summer, which is Friday.


It was a joy to stitch it with those bright, beautiful colors. Here is the pattern, which is also beautiful but I wanted a rainbow of flowers and a white background.


It's the perfect size for the yellow tulips.


I loved working on it outside this past week with my iced tea handy and my stitching needs in the little wool needle case I made that matches the table mat. (You can guess my favorite colors!)


When I wasn't outside, I mainly worked on it here, on the big table in my sewing room. It's my happy space.


My Sew Day group convinced me to leave the little purple petals unstitched, which gives it a whimsical touch. I finished it with a simple blanket stitch and decided not to embellish the rest with embroidery because I wanted it to be fresh and simple -- as opposed to most of my wool applique which is heavily embellished like a made-up bejeweled older woman.


Have a colorful day


3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Lovely! And the colors certainly suit you better than the ones on the pattern. That vase full of tulips looks so good on it.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Beautiful, Sherrie! And you're right, it definitely didn't need any of your usual embellishments to be a lovely, bright summer piece. Enjoy!

Lynda said...

Sherrie, I just want to squeal with delight when I saw this. So pretty!! I want to do this too!! Thanks for the inspiration!