Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

I'm an Arizona resident!!!


It seems like a lifetime ago that I pulled on my Happy Trails sweatshirt in chilly Gig Harbor to begin the drive to Tucson, but it was only Saturday. In the past four days, we (Dave helped me move and did most of the driving) drove down in two long days Saturday and Sunday, spent Monday camped out at the house and buying necessities, had the movers unload everything Tuesday morning, and today I'm unpacking while Dave reassembles furniture and fine tunes the house for me. 


It was raining when we pulled away,
which made it easier to leave.


It went from rain in Washington to snow on the mountains in Utah to  red rocks in Arizona.


My new home state.

We stopped at Sedona for old times' sake and to get pizza. We drove to one of our favorite trail heads and ate in the car, then drove the rest of the way to Tucson and got in after dark.


Here's the sunset the next evening from my front porch. There are palm trees! Ever since I was little I have wanted to live where there are palm trees!


I've had Mexican food every day.



The movers unloaded 12,000 pounds yesterday in 3 1/2 hours. They got here early to beat the heat and were done by 11 a.m. Great guys. Now I'm hustling to make the house comfortable.


This morning, there was a delivery on the front porch -- Godiva chocolates from a friend back in Washington! They went great with my morning coffee.


Here's why we get started
early in the morning:


I have a lush desert back yard. Once I get settled, I'll study up on desert plants. Here's the view from my back window while I'm taking a break in my big overstuffed chair. That's a sun shade to the left, and it sure comes in handy.


Here's something from an Instagram post that I'm embracing. I love my new life!


 Have a colorful day

7 comments:

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Congratulations!! You made it!! It looks like a wonderful place for a new start.

Our truck comes on Monday. We opted for a u-pack truck. We pack it, they pick it up and drive it out to CA. I lost count of box count, but I bought 40 and brought so so many from the aisles of Walmart. Grabbed them as soon as the stockers emptied them. Some even went to the back room to get me more.
Be Well and Stay Safe.
xx, Carol

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

My heart is bursting with joy for you, Sherrie! I know you have lots of busy days ahead, but it's been a long time coming... so glad you made it! Keep those pix coming... love to see the progress you are making. Happy Trails to you... <3

Cool Lizzie said...

I'm still here in gray Grays Harbor! So much satisfaction tagging along virtually on your journey - both emotional and physical - and now seeing you in your new location. It's SO PRETTY!! I'm delighted for you and look forward to the settling in process! Yay, you!!

Robbie said...

So excited for you!!!!! Love the view from your windows!!!!! You're going to do wonderful in your new home and state...how could you not starting out with chocolate!!!! Look forward to your future posts!

lorrwill said...

YAY! The hard part is done. Now the medium hard part is underway: unpacking. I hope your new home is everything you wished for and more.

Lynda said...


Sounds like a not too stressful trip to your new life. I can't wait to see all of the creativity that comes out of this journey. The warm weather looks good to this woman who is reading this wearing a sweater!!

Welcome home!!

Marybeth said...

New home, new town, new life and then comes new friends.....does life get any better....you bet! Congrats on your move. Enjoy all the NEW that surrounds you!