Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The movers came and Happy Earth Day


The movers came Monday and loaded tons of my stuff onto their van. They hustled for seven straight hours with only brief breaks and then took off, headed to drop of two other loads and then meet me at my new house in Tucson next week.

They did a great job of carefully wrapping all the furniture in moving pads.


My sewing room, below, will probably be someone else's family room.


So now I'm living with a folding camp chair in the kitchen with one empty box for a table and another for a foot stool.


The only other "furnishings" are my self-inflating air bed, a box end table and an old stool and lamp that are both going to be left with someone who can take them to Goodwill when it reopens. It's actually very comfortable. I like the simplicity, although a couch to stretch out on in the living room in front of a TV would be nice.


It's also Earth Day!


I've been going on three-mile walks almost every day on the golf course in our community, which is normally closed to walkers. It's gorgeous. Yesterday I went on two walks totaling almost seven miles. I don't think I'll be doing that when I get to Tucson because it's supposed to be 100 degrees when I arrive.




I always see a red-winged blackbird in this marsh.


Clouds and water are something I won't see much of in Tucson. I'll miss the water, but not the clouds.


The other day I saw about 10 baby ducklings paddling along with mama bringing up the rear. A couple of the babies took off onto land to explore and I worried about them until they headed back to the pond.


This is me relaxing in my camp chair tonight with a bowl of chocolate chip cookie dough dip brought over by a friend. The salty pretzels used as dippers really set off the sweetness of the dip. It's made with powdered sugar, brown sugar, butter and vanilla. Delish!


 Have a colorful day


6 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Now that's roughing it! But the walks sound heavenly... I haven't been on any walks other than grocery store once a week.... miss my hikes, and the weather here is supposed to be glorious all next week, so I think I'll have to stretch my legs a little even if it's just around the square! And maybe you won't get much hiking in once you get to your new home, but walking back and forth unpacking will probably give you a good workout! And come monsoon season, there will be clouds, but they will bring rain and that will be welcome. I can't believe you only have a couple more days before you will be on your way! Safe journey, my friend... looking forward to posts about your move in!

Lynda said...

Glad you are getting out and walking. I've just been doing the 2.5 mile walk in the neighborhood, not feeling like getting out much further. It's surprising to me to see other people out. In the past, I never saw anyone else walking! Looks like you are on the final leg. Take care, happy journeys and all that stuff. Looking forward to the moving in and settling. Stay safe and well.

Donna said...

i live on Cape Cod. We don't really have spring, sounds like where you are currently living. But, I could not leave the trees, lakes, ponds, and oceans. I am happy for you but will miss the beautiful photos of your current area. I am in awe that you have done all the work to move. Your colors in photos may be different but the colors in your words and your art will travel with you. Enjoy your last days and the journey to your new home. Stay safe and be well.

Donna said...

I meant to say, enjoy your last few days in your current home and your journey to your new home. I look forward to coming along on your adventure.

Robbie said...

It's happening!!!!! So wonderful!!!! And so glad you posted a food pic!!!! You'll be so happy to get out west...even with the heat!!!! Take care!!! Keep us posted!

lorrwill said...

Yay! Almost there. As someone who lives where summer sees several triple digits days, you just have to walk a little before and when the sun is rising. You will acclimate with time.