Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, April 5, 2020

Packing: Tackling the quilts

Made from a pattern in 1987 in St. Louis.
I packed my quilts this week, unrolling and examining each one. I thought you might like to see some oldies, which are quite different from the work I do now.

My version of an op-art log cabin, made in the '80s.

I made a Lone Star quilt top when I lived in Texas
in the '90s, but I still haven't quilted it!

I made this in the '90s in Kansas but haven't quilted it.

Made this for my daughter and free-motion quilted it.

Friendship Stars from the '90s.
Then I started making my own designs, painting and stamping fabric, and pretty soon I was a quilt artist!

"Desert Rain," 2003, made in Rockford, IL,
but inspired by my time in El Paso.

"Waiting for Spring," made in Illinois around 2005,
inspired by the snowy woods behind our house.

"Winter Closing In," 2012, after moving to the Northwest.
This is why I'm moving back to the desert!

Here are the quilts before I started packing them for transport to Tucson. I couldn't find packing boxes long enough to hold them rolled up, so I reluctantly folded them. 


So many quilts!


In other news, I made a folded cloth mask from a YouTube video. My brother says it makes me look like a terrorist. I didn't have any elastic handy, so I tried hair ties but they were too small. So I cut off the elastic from a shower cap and it worked perfectly.


This Quarantine Diet is about how I'm eating. I do fine with breakfast and lunch, then it all falls apart. Last night I ate a whole pint of Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Fudge Core right before bed.


And here is my son sheltering at home, whipping up a coffee drink for Rachel with a drill attached to a fork because it didn't get frothy enough when she used a whisk.

And life moves on.



Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Lynda said...

Sherrie,

What lovely quilts, but I love, love, love your art quilts. Fun to see the progression! Yeah, it's hard to not over eat during this time. I've gained half of what I lost a year ago, but I just can't worry about it right now. Love seeing your son with the drill!! Stay well, dear.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

What an evolution in your quilts! I see bright desert creations in your future! Can't believe the movers wouldn't have wardrobe boxes you could put your quilts in rolled... but they won't be folded for long, right? Down to the final lap now. BTW, if you decide to make more masks find an old t-shirt and cut 1" strips across, then stretch. Cut 4 18" strips and attach one to each corner as you stitch the fabric layers together... works great. In times of need, creative alternatives can be found!

Donna said...

I always enjoy reading your posts. I had to laugh when I saw the quarantine menu and the drill used to foam the latte. I will be sorry to see you move as I loved the pictures of your current environment. I have been to Tuscan but the desert is too dry for me. I loved Sedona even more as the colors of the rocks and their formations were so inspiring. It will be interesting to see what you post from a new environment but I will miss the feet and forks posts and the variety of landscape in the Northwest. However, I love your work and your posts and will follow you to Tuscan and hope that you find lots of color there as well.

Robbie said...

Your quilts/works are wonderful! But I have to say that first one is my favorite! Just beautiful!!! You'll soon be on your way!!!!! Happy Packing!