Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Thursday, July 2, 2020

Loose threads


I just have random bits and pieces for the blog today. My creative muse hasn't come back since the move, but I can follow patterns and do noncreative sewing, like more masks. These are some that I just made for my daughter's coworkers at Trader Joe's.


I've been picking up a lot of reserved books at the Oro Valley Library, and each time I drive into the parking lot I'm amazed by this giant saguaro. It is magnificent! I'm not good at estimating heights, but I'll bet its at least 30 feet tall.


This is the outside of the library, in the back. I can't wait for it to open for browsing so I can see the inside. Right now we have to reserve our books online and then pick them up outside the front door where they've set up tables. You call from outside the library to let them know you're there and give them your library card number, then they tell you which numbered table they'll put your books on. Everyone is masked up and stays at a safe distance.


I've also been enjoying the birds who visit me every day in my courtyard. This little hummer loves the pencil cactus and doesn't seem to mind that I'm sitting just a few feet away.


And the doves are getting bolder about coming into the courtyard when I'm there. All day I can hear their soft cooing and I love it.


I had my new patient physical yesterday -- mainly so I could get prescription refills -- and this masked stranger greeted patients in the lobby.


And last but not least, the clouds are gathering for the start of the summer monsoon season. It's a few weeks late because it normally runs from mid-June through September. I felt a few sprinkles a couple of times in the last few days, the humidity is creeping up out of the single-digits, and clouds are more widespread. I never thought, after living in the Northwest, that I'd look forward to rain, but we desperately need it to put out the Bighorn Fire. That's my sewing room window to the left of the giant prickly pear cactus.


Have a colorful day


4 comments:

Susan Sawatzky said...

I've lost my mojo too and I didn't move. Like you, I can still follow a pattern. In May I made a poppy quilt for a neighbor's 6 yr olds birthday. Her brother had a birthday a couple of weeks ago and I decided he needs one too. I found a simple pattern online for a whale quilt. The background is all just different size rectangles and then you put three whales on the top, evenly spaced.

Of course I didn't like the whales that it showed so had to draw my own Orca pattern. It has turned out okay, using batiks for the whales makes it look a little like the Native carvings so I'm happy. Now to sandwich and quilt.

I guess I have a little mojo left, but not enough to start anything new that is strictly my own.

That looks like a great library, should be fun to explore when you can. I love your house.

Robbie said...

I love seeing your new life posted!!! I would enjoy having my morning coffee and watching the birds and cactus!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Your mojo is coming out in different ways... the lovely photos you share with us and your writings are also very creative, don't forget that!
By the time you are able to go into the library you will probably have a very good feel for your new world down there.... sounds like you are definitely finding all the good places near you!
Interesting that Monsoons start June 15 down there normally... we start our count up here July 15, but then you are closer to the gulf where they originate. We definitely have a T-storm forecast for later today, and the sky is very cloudy, so I think our preview will be today. Can't wait!

lorrwill said...

Add me to the waning mojo club. It will come back. It always does. I love these little updates.
Thank you for wearing your mask and playing it safe! Both AZ and CA saw frightening surges in virus cases; it helps lift the gloom when I read about folks taking the safety protocols seriously.