Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Words of wisdom

By Lori Roberts of Little Truths Studio.

I'm still collecting quotes, so today I thought I'd show some of my latest favorites along with sunset photos from near my house.

(The first picture is by Lori Roberts of Little Truths Studio in Oregon. Check out her blog/shop for some more beautiful art and words.)

I think the top quote is apropos to all of us who have turned to stitching to get us through the coronavirus. Same goes for this next quote. I find the simple act of running a needle in and out of fabric to create an embroidered picture is so calming.


I'm also calmed every evening at sunset when I head outside for the show. I took the shot below about a block from my house, looking east at sunset to catch the beautiful reflected light on Pusch Ridge.


That same evening I captured one rogue orange cloud amidst the grey. A beacon.




Today I'm taking "Let Yourself Rest" to heart. I slept in and enjoyed two leisurely cups of coffee instead of the usual one. I skipped the news reports in my inbox. I'm not leaving the house except for sunset (it's too hot to walk) and I'm going to just read and sew. I have some things I could worry about, but I'm choosing not to.






I feel so lucky to have this view just a few minutes' walk from my house. Beautiful Pusch Ridge in Oro Valley, AZ.


And then there's this, LOL:



 Have a colorful day



5 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love all of it! I'm especially taking advantage of "Let yourself rest" today! My friend Joyce and I have been making masks almost exclusively for the last 4 months, and we have a reprieve for about a week to do other things, or NOTHING! I'm enjoying a respite, so this meme is perfect, I'm going to copy it and send to her.
Your photographs are awesome, as usual! You are taking full advantage of nature's beauty and that's a gift... enjoy!
Talk to you soon... xoxo!

sonja said...

beautiful words of kindness and skies of outrageous beauty.
You certainly captured moments of gold!

yesterday i sat down on a bench in the shade and watched the noonday clouds drift by , grateful.

And with gratefulness, each evening we are ready for the
night sky show of many colors and mood!

The Idaho Beauty said...

Such a lovely collection of quotations and pictures . . .

And then the punch at the end! So true - lol

We've bumped up into the 90's here - truly hot for us - and I put off my walk yesterday until after the sun went down when it had cooled by a good ten degrees. But my deck in the afternoon is pleasant even on the hottest day and I have chosen to indulge in recreational reading out there most days. But I am between books so yesterday it was my yoga journal that came out with me. Writing is so therapeutic for me and provided the sort of rest I needed, or perhaps prelude to rest, as once I was done, I sat for awhile just soaking up the sounds and scene before me - birdsong and woods - and reflecting.

Hope your day of rest, day off, rejuvenates you.

Lynda said...

Sherrie, Great pics and quotes. I need to print a couple of those quotes out to remind me. Thanks.

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

Lovely pictures of sunsets. We ALMOST never have clouds so no great sunsets here. The sun just silently falls behind the mountains. BUT the stars at night are awesome and close. I'm sure we are seeing more here than in Indiana. The night sky is truly amazing here.

That last quote is ME!!
xx, Carol