Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Covid house dresses


Since I moved to Arizona in April, my at-home wardrobe has consisted of a series of sleeveless, loose, breezy, comfortable dresses that I refer to as my house dresses, like this rayon patchwork one that I bought from a street vendor in Boulder about 15 years ago.


And this swingy tie dye number that I only wore once in Gig Harbor on an unusually hot day, but here it's in regular rotation.


Little did I know that this is a trend! I googled house dress to check on the origins of the term (it goes back to our grandmothers' days) and discovered that with summer heat and everyone staying home because of Covid, women are ditching their sweats in favor of loose, comfy dresses. So for once, I'm in style!


The purple tie dye is from Chico's. I bought it years ago and never found the right time for it -- until now. 


Same with this painted orange gauze dress from a vendor at a farmers market in Hawaii about 10 years ago. Once I got back to the Northwest it went to the back of my closet, but now I love throwing it on.


This embroidered ankle-length dress from India is one of my favorites, and I'm glad to finally be wearing it every week.


Here is why pants are becoming increasingly uncomfortable:


And who wants anything hot or constricting when this is the weather forecast:



Temps have been hellish this summer, and we're setting new heat records left and right. May through July was the hottest three-month period on record in Tucson, and July was the hottest month EVER recorded here going back to the 1800s. Definitely some climate change going on. 

Have a colorful day







4 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...


What a timely post. I had a haircut scheduled yesterday and the day was hottish (nothing like your hot though). I was going to wear a light top and skimmer shorts but even that felt too hot. And I too have been suffering from a diet full of eating up a trial recipe for chocolate cake (I add the banana and some yogurt to make me feel like it is healthier). Last summer I bought several Lands End beach coverups that are nice enough to wear anywhere, sleeveless, waistless, cotton jersey, slip over your head and go. So I pulled one out of the closet and reveled in the comfort.

Well, I got compliments from my stylist who said I looked so good in it and I countered with pretty much what you are saying, and she added, "And you don't have to think about coordinating a top with a bottom, just put it on and go!" I couldn't help adding the bit about gained weight and this was a bit like the muumuus of the 60's. There's a reason those were so popular and I am glad they are back! You have a very nice selection to choose from. House dresses rule for us stay-at-home types!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love it! You've been preparing for hot weather for years! I rarely wear my one dress... for me, shorts, tanks and flip flops is the order of the day, but whatever works to keep you cool & comfy is where it's at!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

I am in the same heat range you are. The weather guy calls this Heat Wave #6. I don't think I can get into wearing a dress though my granddaughter wears them often. Most of my discomfort in the heat is from wearing a bra, but I'm way too busty to go braless at 69. If I lived alone with Terry I would probably do THAT!! I live in shorts and tank tops. I think I eat a lot less since we moved. I attribute that to being so far away from fast food. One hour there and one back. The last time we went to Tehachapi we ate at Sonic and I got food poisoning. AND I really should learn to drink more water. Lots of changes in your and my life lately huh!
xx, Carol

Robbie said...

Your dresses are ADORABLE!!!! I'd wear each and every one of them! And I can see where they would be comfy in the heat! Good for you. Soon the heat will break....