Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, August 14, 2020

Desert bracelet

My directions and possible ingredients from my stash.

I've been watching free www.beadshop.com videos, which come out on Wednesday and Friday mornings. (In my pre-Covid life I was always at yoga class then.) The other day there was a tutorial on making a knotted wrap bracelet using large-hole pearls and some other beads. I went into my stash and found some green recycled glass beads to use instead of pearls. The video is titled "Leather and Pearl Wrap" in case you want to watch it.


I put the possibilities in one of my coiled fabric bowls and looked at them for awhile, then decided to just use the green and coral-colored beads.


One hour of stringing and knotting later, I had a bracelet that reminded me of the desert. And it was still morning and I still had the whole afternoon and evening to fill.


We've been having some very dramatic skies lately as the clouds gather for monsoon season but stubbornly refuse to give up rain. 


Top photo is looking across the street from my front porch. Below is turning around and looking at my house the same night. I feel rich with these nightly views! In Gig Harbor, my views from home  were skies obliterated by evergreen trees. Some people thought of those giant trees as guardians, but for me they were monsters stealing the light. It was time to move.


 And just to keep myself sane, I'm still collecting funny quotes. They pretty much sum up how I feel.




Linking up to Nina-Marie's Off-the-Wall Friday: 

Have a colorful day


3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

The bracelet turned out well. I bet it felt good to find a use for those beads.

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

Love the bracelet! Will need to check out that link.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love when things happen that maybe you hadn't planned, but you like the outcome! The bracelet is lovely, and probably a nice break from quilting. And yes, the skies are intoxicating! I need vistas, and not just plain dull ones. Beautiful clouds and sunsets are the icing on the cake, but without the calories! Thanks for sharing them with us, and the laughs from the memes! Long as we hold on to our ability to laugh, we'll get through...