Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, August 19, 2020

Pieces of the Quilt of Life


When I started this blog 10 years ago, I chose "Life Is a Colorful Quilt, and I'm Stitching the Pieces Together" as the subtitle. So today I'm going to present random pieces of life in my ongoing mystery quilt.


My son, Keith, and the first big watermelon from his garden in Wisconsin. His wife said it was the best watermelon she has ever tasted.


Me, doing a yoga pose that I've been practicing during my Covid isolation ... NOT!



Another piece of Talavera pottery from Mexico that I treated myself too. It has four compartments for kitchen utensils and a carrying handle.


A blooming barrel cactus outside the Oro Valley Library.



Yarn "blooming" from a basket in my entryway in the late afternoon sun.



I showed you my house dresses in an earlier post, but this is my "going out" dress -- loose, cool, comfy and colorful. I bought it from Judy in Flagstaff, who dyed it in cool blues and greens. You can buy one too at her shop: JudySallOriginals https://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/home/JudySallOriginals. It's the Easy Breezy Rayon Dress and it runs large. 


It's not this one, but I do have a bobcat hanging out in my back yard, according to my neighbor. I haven't seen it yet. These photos were posted by someone else in Tucson who had a bobcat in her yard.


The oppressive heat continues, with highs up around 109. The Tucson electric company asked us to cut back our electric use to prevent power outages during this heat wave. I'm sure glad my AC hasn't gone out!



And what's a quilt of life without the sunset? I've had both cotton candy pretty sunset clouds and ominous ones in the past week. They're all beautiful. These views are both from in front of my house.



 Have a colorful day




4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Lovely post, and thanks for the plug! Sure do hope temps start going down for you south AZ folks... guess you can be glad you didn't decide to move to the Death Valley CA area... they topped 130 the other day! Not fit for man or beast this time of year, that's for sure!

Robbie said...

Love the Talavera pottery!!! And your son's watermelon looks great! I'm sure he and his wife enjoy growing their own foods!!! Hang in there....the heat will dissipate! Soon I'm sure!!! Your views are wonderful!!! That's worth so much...enjoy!

The Idaho Beauty said...

I love that compartmentalized piece of pottery. And the moodiness of the final cloud photo. Quite a varied life you have, full of flora AND fauna. Keep cool and pray the electricity doesn't go out!

Carol- Beads and Birds said...

That is a great pottery piece. Our temps are about the same as yours. I never thought it would be this hot in the mountains, but we do have a wind blowing almost all the time. Even with this heat, it's still cooler than Indiana. We have bobcat on our property, only they are not the lay around the yard kind. Ours our wild and dangerous. My grandson went to the top of the mountain and sent me a pic of the sunset. I am always complaining that we don't have sunsets. The sun just fades behind the mountain across the road. This past week was the first time I even saw clouds in the sky!!

Stay cool and be healthy.
xx, Carol