Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Sunday, June 13, 2021

More spirit dolls


I made two more spirit dolls this weekend. The first one, Spirit of the Garden, is for a friend who loves to garden and loves flowers. I used some of her favorite colors. I hope she likes it.

The next one is Spirit of the Trees and Sea for a friend who loves those two things. I used green for the trees, blue for the water, a shell button for the face and some charms for her favorite activities.


Someone asked me what a spirit doll was. For me, it's a "doll" that's made with items that embody the spirit of something. It could be something physical, like the mountains, desert, water or plants. Or it could be something nonphysical, like friendship or healing. The maker thinks about the spirit while making the doll, sometimes even tucking written messages or symbols into it. Generally they are hung on the wall.

Right now, a Spirit of Arizona doll would be in sizzling reds because it's 110 degrees here in Tucson! (But it's a dry heat, only 3 percent humidity.) This quote that was posted on Facebook today pretty accurately sums it up:


Which means that I won't be using my new lap quilt anytime soon! I just finished it and it's about 63 inches square so I decided not to hang it up.

Have a colorful day


3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

The new quilt looks very inviting but I get why it won't be in use, not with those temps, not even with air conditioning!

I'd be crying uncle at those altitudes! The cliff dwellings look well worth the effort to see.

More Spirit Dolls! They look great . . .

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Love your new dolls, and your way of tying them to the interests of those who will be receiving them! Boy, does that quote fit, especially now. We're in the 90's up here at 7000 feet, but I would be melting in a puddle if I were down where you are. At least now you have new projects to play with and keep you inside, huh? Stay cool and don't bake any cookies right now! ;-)

Robbie said...

And I thought our high 80's here in Michigan for the past week was hot! Guess I won't complain...but we do have the humidity...ugh..today wasn't so bad. mid 70's some humidity but I was able to walk the dogs twice and a 2 mile walk with my bud. Love your spirit dolls!!!! They are adorable!!!