Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, June 26, 2021

STITCH and Yoga Girls


I'm back in Gig Harbor getting together with all my groups! It's so good to slip back into the old routine, even if it is only for two weeks.

Four of us from STITCH got together at Andrea's house for show and tell. I haven't had in-person sewing inspiration since I moved because I'm not involved with any Tucson quilt groups yet.


Andrea is working on a king-size quilt of blue circles hand-appliqued onto layer cake squares. It's striking!

Linda showed her paper pieced houses quilt top.

Carol has been doing red French knots on a piece of black and white Australian print fabric. The texture is great.

Carol also showed a paper pieced top.


I also met up with the Yoga Girls at Cutter's Point coffee house. Yay! We went around the table and everyone gave an update on their past year. That took a couple of hours, but I still wanted more time with them. My selfie stick came in handy for getting the group photo.

And did I say that it's hot? Record setting hot. Today is about 100 degrees and humid and it's nearly unbearable without air conditioning. At Nancy's house, where I'm staying, we draped wet towels around our necks and sat in front of the fan with bottles of ice water. It's going to be even hotter tomorrow, but we'll be at an air conditioned house for Sew Day. But Monday will be 108, which is unprecedented here, so we're thinking of hiding out at the movie theater all afternoon.


The harbor looks deceptively cool and refreshing. Normal highs in June are only in the 70s.


Have a colorful day
 

3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, I've read about the heat wave but hadn't thought of the humidity!
That can't be fun, but I'm glad you've been able to visit with your
friends! Meanwhile, I hear there was rain in Phoenix last week and the
temps dropped to unseasonable lows! Stay cool and enjoy the rest of your
visit.

Lynda said...

Sherrie, Looks like you are having so much fun reconnecting. So glad you could make the trip. My friend who moved out to that area, did put in air conditioning in parts of the house even though the builder said they didn't need it. I remember her telling me that most people don't have air there. Amazing. Stay cool as you can - perfect time to go see a movie.

Enjoy!

The Idaho Beauty said...

And here I thought you had timed your trip north perfectly, not realizing it meant more than just a visit with you Spokane daughter. Thought you'd escaped the Arizona heat but instead, out of the skillet and into the fire! Still, so nice that you can spend time with these old friends.