Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Spirit doll groove

"Night Energy"

Now that it's too hot to go hiking (115 yesterday!!!), I've been staying inside and making spirit dolls. At first I fumbled along trying to figure out how best to make them, but now I'm in a groove! Getting a glue gun yesterday really simplified things.


Here are the three I made yesterday and this morning -- "Night Energy," "Saguaro," and "Twilight." They range from 14 to 16 inches tall and have a hanging loop on back.

Judy Doane Sall, my friend in Flagstaff, got me started. I wrote about her here: spirit-dolls-with-tie-dye-judy.html

For the body and arms I collect branches and twigs from my yard. The curling white bark is from my acacia tree, but I'm not sure if it would hold up well on a doll. I might use it for hair.

Then I pull out scraps of fabric, yarn, beads, charms, feathers ...

This is fabric that I painted and stamped years ago, and I think it'll make good clothes for spirit dolls.

Judy uses clay faces for hers, but I've been using big buttons from my stash.

Then I just play, adding embellishments until I think it's done but not overdone.

And remember this advice:

 

Have a colorful day

3 comments:

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

I love these spirit dolls! You have added yiue special touch to it

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Great post, Sherrie! You have captured the fun and adventure of making these magical dolls! And I love the quote at the end... says it all, doesn't it? ;-)

Lynda said...

Sherrie, These are great! You are in the grove for sure! Love the button faces! Great idea.