Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, June 7, 2021

Piercing the Mundane


I love this quote about "piercing the mundane" by Daniel Moynihan. It got me thinking about how we can find the marvelous in so many everyday experiences, if we just open our eyes and ears to it.

I was stopped in my tracks this morning on a walk in the desert when I looked up from the path and realized that the whole earth was glowing -- from the sand to the leaves to the sun rays piercing the vivid blue sky. Sometimes we miss these things if we're busy talking or absorbed in our thoughts.

Looking up from close to the base of a giant saguaro makes it look impossibly tall, but there it is. 

Silence becomes magical when you listen for it.



The tiniest flower is often overlooked, but focusing in on it can make it seem like a miracle ...


... no less than the majesty of a sunset or the moon, which are with us every day of our lives.


This post is sort of disjointed and I don't know if it actually addresses creativity, but I love the quote so much that I had to do something with it.

Have a marvelous day

2 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

What a beautiful post, full of insights and reflections! Thank you for sharing them... great way to start the day!

Robbie said...

I've said it so often but you are so lucky to be surrounded by all this beauty. The saguaro looks like he is offering up to the sky or trying to show you the sky! HA Friends everywhere, right!