Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Retiring the old pack


I've had this orange Coleman knapsack for 40 years. I bought it when I was in my 20s and needed something to take when I was exploring the desert around my new town of El Paso, Texas. It went on many day trips and vacations and has served me and two kids really well over the decades! 

My son used it when he went to preschool summer camp and it still has his name written inside. Then my daughter carried her books in it all through high school and it continued holding up with just a few reinforcing stitches around one strap. Here she is with it on her last day of high school 15 years ago.

But I finally gave in to the need for a hydration pack with a water bladder and drinking tube. So last week I bought a new Osprey pack, although I don't like the navy blue as much as the orange. It made its maiden voyage into the desert today.

It's very comfortable and holds 2.5 liters of water. I filled it about half full with ice cubes and that kept my back cool as the temperature climbed into the 80s by 9 a.m. I hope the orange pack understands!



Happy Trails!



3 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I think the orange pack had a long and very productive life... and your new pack sounds like it will be perfect for those days when the heat drives lizards under rocks to stay cool! Good for you, and happy trails to you too!

Mcirishannie f/k/a quilt til you wilt said...

Hydration packs are great and you will love the convenience.

The Idaho Beauty said...

I had no idea those packs existed until a couple of years ago when I was looking for a simple day pack, which of course, I couldn't find for all the specialized ones for "real" hikers - lol. I puzzled quite a bit over them but honestly, after packing a waterbottle around on even short hikes, I came to understand the usefulness of such a thing. Not sure I would have thought to put ice in at the beginning but brilliant!