Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Saturday, August 20, 2022

Noom, blooms and monsoon


While sorting through old photos this week I found this picture of me 40 years ago and about 40 pounds lighter holding one of my weavings. I decided to finally do something about the pound-a-year weight gain and joined Noom, the weight loss program that focuses on your psychological reasons for eating as well as having you track your food and exercise. 

So far I've lost three pounds and am actually having fun listening to the daily lessons and tracking my food. Entering everything I eat into the Noom app makes me super conscientious about what I'm eating and I've been able to eat a lot more than I thought and still lose without being too hungry. If I stay on track I should be able to dump the 40 pounds by the end of February, although I find that hard to grasp.


In the midst of our monsoon rain, we had a sunny morning when the light illuminated my Joyful Desert quilt and I found the same colors on my neighborhood walk.


Look at my foot to get an idea of the size of this blooming barrel cactus!


Those are the Catalina Mountains behind the Mexican Bird of Paradise, which is in full bloom all over town.


Here's a closeup:


Then things went wrong:

 
The rains returned and my house sprouted another leak, just two weeks after my insurance company finished repairing the first one. I don't have the emotional strength to call them again right now -- maybe tomorrow.




In the meantime, I started physical therapy yesterday for my shoulder and am diligently doing my home exercises. Here I am on the way with my sling strap, purse strap, and seatbelt strap!


Have a colorful day

3 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

What a lovely post - well, until we got to the plot twist. I've never heard that particular take on life going bad and like it! It pains me to have you continually having issues with your house but am so happy that your surgery went well and left you without awful pain and now ready to start pt. Carry on girl - it's all we can do - and keep looking for those beautiful colors in your life.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

Wow, your weaving was lovely! The photos of the desert wildflowers are always amazing.
Good for you, working to stay healthy with tracking your food. It worked for me back in 2011-2012 when I was able to take off 35 pounds. I've pretty much kept it off but do have to watch it daily. And I'm glad to hear you've progressed to the PT stage of your recovery.
Not happy to hear about the leaks, but this has been a monster monsoon season and I think many have had issues from rain & flooding. I'm hoping it's the exception to the rule and that we'll go back to "normal" rains in the coming years. I hope this new issue can be dealt with quickly for you.

Linda Schiffer said...

Laughing right out loud with Plot Twist! :)

I think losing weight is a bit like time traveling into the past ... newly becoming a past you. I had bariatric surgery nine months ago and have lost about 70 pounds so far. I'm back to my weight when my (now 41 year old daughter) was about one year old. Too bad it isn't real as well as philosophical! :)

Linda