Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Friday, April 28, 2023

Challenge quilt



I finally got inspired to do a new quilt. All it took was a challenge from the quilt guild that I just joined. They give each new member a fat quarter of "uninspiring" fabric and challenge us to make a small quilt with it.


This is my fabric and I didn't find it uninspiring! I don't like the maroon colored background, but I decided I could just cut out the flowers and use them in a bouquet.


So I backed a bunch of flowers -- and a bunny and a fish -- with Steam-a-Seam 2 and then arranged them in a yellow vase (because I yellow is so cheerful). This next photo shows how I collaged black/white prints for the background. Then I sewed down some green rick rack stems and started arranging the flowers. When I was satisfied, I ironed them to make the fusing permanent and now I'm doing free-motion quilting.



In other news, my grand bunnies just turned four and my daughter threw them a little birthday party. She raised them from the time they were born after rescuing their pregnant parents from under a truck in the rain. They were obviously pet rabbits, but their owners didn't want them back. I got to hold the babies when they were just newborns -- so tiny, still with their eyes closed. They've grown into the most lovable, soft, affectionate bunnies who are litter trained and live in her living room.


Have a colorful day

2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Wow, your new friends at the guild are going to be so impressed with this piece! I particularly like that collaged background. The bouquet will be stunning.

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I love how the quilt is coming out! And you did a great job transforming the "uninspiring fabric" into a cheery bouquet!
The bunnies are adorable - so lucky they were found by your daughter, who is a sweetie for caring for them so well!