Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Monday, December 27, 2021

Change in Christmas plans


I had planned to fly to Los Angeles over Christmas to visit my parents, but my dad thought he might have Covid and couldn't get a rapid test, so we decided it would be best if I canceled. He ended up being negative, although he had to drive almost two hours round trip to get tested because all the doctors offices and pharmacies anywhere near him were out of tests.

So instead, I spent Christmas Eve (above) with two friends at my house. I prepared my traditional lasagne, a big salad, and my chocolate/pecan/Kahlua pie! I also had a Santa wine bottle topper that I had planned to give to my parents but ended up using here instead.


Christmas Day was cloudy, so I spent it at home calling family. But the next day was gorgeous and I joined many others hiking off the holiday treats at Catalina State Park.




A few days earlier I hiked with some friends at Pima Canyon, where we spotted this crested saguaro:

Meanwhile, my brother drove up from San Diego to be with my parents at Christmas and sent some photos. They're doing great at 90 years old for my dad and 90 in a week for my mom.

They still decorate their house beautifully, which makes me nostalgic and wishing I could have been there.


We're in for clouds and rain here the rest of the week. This is today's sunrise from my back patio.


Have a colorful day

5 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Dang, too bad you had to cancel your trip but good news that your dad did not have covid. Another time . . .

You definitely made the most of suddenly finding yourself at home. I want some of that pie! And wouldn't mind a slice of lasagna either.

p.s. my turkey tettrazinni turned out as delicious as I remembered!

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

I'm glad you were able to get together with friends, since you couldn't be with family. And I'm very glad to hear your Dad's test was negative! Hopefully, you can get out there soon to visit your folks. Meanwhile, Happy New Year, and Happy Trails!

Del said...

Always glad to read you and know you are doing well. I see your mother has the same chair that I do! Good for her to still enjoy it at 90. I can no longer sit in mine because it is so low I can't get up again. Suppose I should find it a new home. I hope you do get the rain so that the desert will bloom for you this spring. Be safe. Stay well. Love, Del & KoKo

Lynda Heines said...

So sorry you weren't able to go home, but glad you still had a good Christmas. Hope you can get out to see them soon. They look great! Beautiful hiking pics as always. Happy New Year!

Robbie said...

Better safe than sorry...we had to cancel two Christmas Eve plans with my kids! So we ended up doing the doing the Zoom thing!!! And we created more memories!