Detail from "Rain Dance," an original quilt by Sherrie Spangler

Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Happy Winter Solstice!

Today's Winter Solstice dawned pretty in pink at my hacienda in the desert. The air was crisp, but temperatures will reach 73 with full sunshine on this first day of winter! What a way to slide into a season full of sunny hiking, outdoor art fairs and dining in flowery courtyards. Quite a change from my 12 years in the dark Northwest winters.


Since Solstice is  all about the return of light, the Tohono Chul gardens here lit up the night last week. I went with Beth and Sandy to enjoy one million lights, a telescope viewing of Saturn, music, hot chocolate, sugar cookies and tripping out with prism glasses!!!


Saguaros wrapped in green lights 
framed an almost full moon.


Mr. and Mrs. Snowman were made of dried desert bushes, which reminded me of tumbleweeds.


Sandy, left, and Beth, bundled up because for us desert people, 40 is like zero degrees.


The music was beautiful. We enjoyed it under a canopy of lights and the moon.



The park's horse sculpture was turned into a Southwest reindeer for the celebration.


The highlight for me was tripping out with the prism glasses that we each got in our goodie bag! They warned us not to try to walk while wearing them. Here's why:


I've been using my prism glasses at home to entertain myself looking at lights. Cheap thrills! All in all, it was a great way to head into winter!!!


Have a colorful day

4 comments:

Judy Sall Fiber Art said...

What a fun outing, and I love the prism glasses... for us color junkies, that's farrrrrrrrrrr out lol!!! Happy Winter Solstice... now the days can start getting longer again, yaay!

Marybeth said...

I am so happy you moved to the desert because I am seeing and learning so much thru your eyes. The area is so different than northern Wyoming!! Your enthusiasm makes a brighter day for me. I love the prism glasses effect. Might make for an interesting art quilt! Thanks for the "trip".

Robbie said...

Another wonderful adventure and memory you've created! Your buds sure look cold! Just like in florida...snowbirds walk around in shorts while the Floridian's wear ear muffs and gloves! HA

Donna said...

I hope you have a wonderful holiday season. Although I would not want to live in Arizona full time, I would love to be there when the weather in Massachusetts is really cold. You have taught me that you can find color anywhere you are. Thank you for sharing your photos, friends, and projects.